Senior Contributor

Size of Corn Ears

Southern MN, adequate rain, pronounced lack of heat.....ears of corn look pretty small compared to most years.

When does that "poor farmer" tour take place this year? Should be interesting and a gambling man might want to buy some corn contracts in advance.

Honored Advisor

Re: Size of Corn Ears

Well, last yr a good ear was 20 around, this yr "16" is the new 20.   So that right there suggests a 20% yield ding, not to mention 33 being the new 43 on ear length and the little hit to the population the cool wet post planting environment and the 70mph green snapage from a couple weeks ago.  I took my national yield guess to 160 this weekend and I`m being generous.   But that I-90 corridor in southern Minnesota is a garden spot.  

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't have as much corn this year as usual, and what I do have is late enough that I'm not quite willing to quote an ear size yet.  However, on the soybeans, there are a lot of acres around central and west central MN that look excellent but are short.  I'd expect at least a 10% reduction in statewide soybean yield based on height and number of nodes through the middle of the state.  Unless the Red River Valley and southern MN turn out a lot better than what I hear.  Spring wheat in my area looks to be at least average - pretty much everyone wishes they had planted more.

The ProFarmer Crop Tour schedule is posted - it is Aug 21-24.

Frequent Contributor

Maybe the East portion of southern Minnesota is the garden spot.  Central to West is not. I farm 10 miles south of I90 near the Iowa border. We've had 8 tenths of rain since June 30th that is not adequate rain.  County average last year was 207, I doubt if we make 190.

Honored Advisor

Iowastudent, from Wells to Albert Lea is really good and they caught rains at ear determination time like 3, 4, 5" rains when the Iowa side got a a dust settler.  "They" say eastern Minnesota is excellent.  

But from a coop newsletter June/July rain was 7.28" at Kiester Mn and 7.78 at Winnebago Mn.   While on the Iowa side 6.69 at Buffalo Center and 5.65 at Forest City.  But in localized areas around Wells Mn, they got 3" at the right time.   But a couple 2" averaged more in that right time in S Minnesota is gonna be yuuge.

Frequent Contributor

Even if South central to south eastern Minnesota does good like you are saying, which I don't doubt.  Do you think 190 for Minnesota is still possible?  I don't see it, I know most of the state looks good. But a lot of the central part of the state was planted late, cool, dry in the SW.  We had about as perfect weather as possible last year (as a whole) and we just made 190.  End rows don't look as good in my area due to the wet late fall and most of the tillage didn't help that, possibly hurt it.

Honored Advisor

I haven`t been west of Blue Earth this summer so that big chunk of good land from Fairmont to Sioux Falls up to Redwood Falls I can`t comment on.   But Alden, Minnesota area might be better than last year and it`s always good around there.

Highlighted
Advisor

From what I've heard it gets drier as you go west from Hwy 71 to the Dakota border.

Hwy 71 runs N/S from Jackson up thru Willmar.

Central part of state is variable due to excessive rains.

Some of that ground does not drain well = there's a reason for all them there sloughs & lakes.Smiley Happy