Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Senior Contributor
hanktbd

Snow for Shaggy

Is this snow going to help your wheat moisture/yields? Our notill stalks here catch quite a bit of snow, and we sometimes see the difference in bean yields the next year if the summer is dry.

Advisor
farmerguy89

Re: Snow for Shaggy

Pre spring weather has historically had a very small impact on final yields.

No one really knows what will become of fields until spring has come on... This is really something you should consider again in march
Senior Advisor
Shaggy98

Without a doubt snow fall will benefit our wheat.  I've got most of my wheat drilled into corn stover that is nearly 2 feet tall, let it blow, I'll catch most of it.  Calling for around 6" in this area, if we get it that should equate to roughly 1/2" moisture.

Senior Contributor
lsc76cat

Shaggy - how deep is your frost level?  Is it shallow enough that a good covering of snow would help it thaw from underneath?

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; Genius will not; Education will not. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "Press On" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." Calvin Coolidge
Senior Advisor
ECIN

76 You might as ask 89 how deep Shaggy frost line is - Shaggy - best guess won't have a clue what your talking about

Advisor
farmerguy89

There's no frost here. Its insulated by snow. You can dig dirt if you want, and i did that by accident the other day. You just gotta remove a few feet of snow.
Senior Advisor
Shaggy98

No frostline here, no topsoil moisture to have a frostline.  Crop consultants have been pulling soil samples all winter with a regular probe, not a drill.

Frequent Contributor
ne 50

Hydrants and water lines 4 foot deep have been freezing periodically for about a month now... frost is driven down with cold weather no snow cover and warmer weather for a few days and then back to fridge temps again.... the freeze thaw is working this year to break-up the hard pan unlike the two previous years....location SC nebraksa

Senior Advisor
ECIN

Shag - Did I see that your now in the 8 to 12 ?? Boy thatwould be an inch or more - Good luck and be safe .

Senior Advisor
Shaggy98

Right on the edge of 6"-9" and 9"-12".  Personally I wouldn't be mad if we received 2' as long as the wind stays down (you can tell my feeding pens are still empty).  Now we've got around 4" on the ground with moderate snow falling and very little wind.  Predicting moderate to heavy snowfall until around 1800 this evening and then the wind is forecasted to start blowing hard.  I'll keep you posted.