Ag Talk | Agriculture.com
Veteran Advisor
roarintiger1

Soybean seed supply

I talked with my soybean seed supplier today.  He had some bad news for me.   Several varieties of beans are coming in at 80% germ.    The company is offering a $3.50 per unit discount and free replant seed.   Maybe this is an isolated case, but he told me a person that worked for this particular seed company told him that the soybean seed supply is a trainwreck. I believe that Allendale is predicting a near record as far as soybean acres are concerned.  This should get interesting. Has anyone else checked with their supplier concerning their seed?

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." "Success happens when preparation meets opportunity"
Frequent Contributor
jcf97

Re: Soybean seed supply

I farm, but also sell soybean and corn seed.  We had a meeting a month ago and my DSM said that there is some issues with the germ this year.  A couple of the later maturing varieties were going to be tagged at 80% and everything else at 85%.  Due to how dry the soybeans came off the field last year.  Lot of splits.   The ones at 80% were going to be at a discount.  But supply was fine.  It was with corn seed that he is suprised no one is talking about.  A large amount of the winter production did not make it or did not sound like the odds were good it would make it. 

Senior Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Mine was delivered yesterday and all pallets had a big sticker inside the stretch wrap that said "premium germination"

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Contributor
kyu2852570

Hobby was that purchased at sams club?
Senior Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Costco

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

Not just soya.........corn is coming in at 90 or 92.......some eco blends at 85......

Peak corn baby.......

Lotta this seed dried to fast in the field and lost germ............cold germ is even worse.....

Peak corn baby........
Senior Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

92% on the tag on the beans, actual is supposed to be a little higher.. (not Stine or P)

Stine seed corn had some issues and tanked a bunch of corn my son had ordered.

Frequent Contributor
waynr

Same story with dekalb and channel here n ecil...bad germ seed corn...happens to be there best # too!
Veteran Advisor
ECIN

What this is telling me , is even if you have got good seed grem -- WE had better do it right the FIRST time , What would they get us for replant ? 75 germ ?

Advisor
Faust100F

Ironically . . . my seed guy also called me yesterday, told him I had found non RR, non Patented seed in Ohio and was about ready to place an order.  

Mizzu was right in an earlier post, where I was arguing that 24D seed beans would be available.   My salesman told me it would be two years before the switch, and the 24D being put in them was not 24D as we know it, and he did not even know why they called the 24D resistant. 

Anyway . . . after I talked with him a bit, I told him if he could find me the old RR1 varieties I have been planting the past six years with RR1 genetics only,  and no other  introduced patented trait in them I would buy beans from him this year.

I told him I will be holding enough beans back for seed from now on, and I do not want any genetics in those beans but the RR1 Gene. So I am going to be sure that certification is on the bill of sale when those beans are delivered at planting time before the check is issued. 

Last year he told me there would be no more RR1 seed this year, so that is why I was searching for public non patented bean seed, and found it in Ohio..     

I told him to confirm the RR1 Numbers I purchased last years and have them segregated at the warehouse.   I find it amazing that what was not going to be available anymore, is still available, must be because the 24D fiasco has been pushed back two years. Adios Amigos. John