Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

Storms/rain

Looks like anywhere between 1.5 to 3.5 inches fell around Iowa and eastern Nebraska over the weekend, but sounds like in parts of northern Iowa, it was just a sprinkle.  So, how'd it treat you at your place? Anybody get slammed by the severe weather and storms?

-----------------------------------------------
Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
Veteran Contributor
Mike central IA

Re: Storms/rain

I am appreciative of the rain, but I wish it didn't all have to fall in a few minutes. I had 2.5 around my home, but have heard rumors that a few miles away near some land I farm there was closer to 4.25 inches in a very short time. Once again, erosion is a problem. Freshly seeded waterways are damaged, crop land stripped of some topsoil, some planted areas covered with the silt that washed off other areas. Will corn find it's way through the extra layer of silt? I don't know. A lot of extremely expensive fertilizer is on it's way to the gulf in the runoff. Rain is wonderful, but I am sure tired of only getting precipitation in these extreme events.

Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

Had a little over 2 inches, but some of it came so fast, it actually drown a 10 day old calf.  My place is not on a floodplain, and no creeks run through it.  About all the runoff that goes through where the calf drown, was off of about 100 acres of mostly native prarie.  No tillage done to the fields, not even stalks chopped, so the fields went through with basically no erosion.

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

100_6338.JPG

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

the above picture is a slice of a picture taken yesterday afternoon of one of my fields that was partially flooded. Notice the erosion damage to the portion of the botton not under water. Yesterday I had 260 acres under and the rest severly eroded. There will be severe damage to some of what was under. + a stick/log pick up job. Had just put the NH3 on last Wed/Thurs. in the most ideal conditions possible.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

This picture is of hail 'drifts'.  A friend forwarded it to me, from one of their friends.  I do not know for sure where it is, but look how deep that stuff was, and all the little channels through it, from all the rain.

just to verify, it really is HAIL!!  (I think this is somewhere by Norfolk, NE)

This last picture is a drift of hail, cut through by floodwaters.  I am assuming that the water floated the hail down to where the guy is standing.

Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

A street in Norflolk, NE

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Thank u Nebrfarmr

That was sure a nasty day.

At least one property insurance co. in Ks got approved for a 25% farm & ranch rate increase last week.

Saturday proved why.

Ks has, on average, 57 tornado sightings per year.  That day thee were 97.---------------from a wichita news report.

sw
Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

Great shots, Nebrfarmr. Yep, sure was touchy down around Wichita. I've got friends and family that live down there and fortunately, they all got through it without much major damage. 

I shot these photos yesterday afternoon down south of Norwalk, IA, here, in central Warren County. This is bottom ground anyway, and pretty prone to flooding anyway, but I haven't seen it this high before. And, this was 2 days after the storm, too. The creek nearby was just gushing, too. Pretty soggy! In one of these shots, you can see just the top of a sign out in the water -- it's a No Hunting sign. I'm guessing that won't be too much of a problem for a while! Maybe a No Fishing sign instead!

0416water01.jpg

0416water02.jpg

Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
Veteran Contributor
semndairyguy

Hobbyfarmer, you water hog!!! I could have used a little more rain. Got about an inch, but came in two different showers. Which is good as it allows it to soak away. Maybe you need some cattle in that field, at least they would have water.