Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Senior Advisor
kraft-t

Supreme court case farmer versus monsanto seed saving

Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

LOL.

[ Edited ]

day late and a dollar short.............there krafty..........

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_audio_detail.aspx?argument=11-796

take a listen..........

sounds like bowman needs a new lawyer...........the justices were toying with him............

no one likes writing checks............but really.............sad part is, if he woulda kept his mouth shut he probably would still be doing it today and no one would be the wiser..............he ran his mouth for nearly 8 years before anything or anyone did anything about it............and he was caught with his hand in the cookie jar to boot, spraying RUP on them.............IMO he was trying to buck the system and proud of it.............well it got him to the supreme court...........made a splash for about a day..............and when the justices rule sometime in June I think it is..........it will probably not change a darn thing.........

come to think of it...............................sounds exactly like what happens in DC all the time.................a huge waste of time and money to make a 5 minute splash............THAT DOESNT CHANGE A DAM THING...................SOUNDS LIKE THIS BOWMAN GUY SHOULDA RUN FOR A SEAT INSTEAD OF FARMING...................hows that land and grain donation coming there krafty..........LMAO................:smileysurprised:

Advisor
Faust100F

Re: Supreme court case farmer versus monsanto seed saving

[ Edited ]

Kraft,t,t,t,t - The Monsanto patent expires next year, the Brazilian farmers said it expired in 2010.   The way I see it is the companies who violated the Monsanto licensing agreement like Pioneer Seed Corn did and added additional genetic material to a soybean in violation of that licensing agreement have a problem.  

No one would have purchased their seeds without the RR ready genetics.  They cannot  derive economic benefit from a wrongful act in violation of a contractual agreement.  

In short . . . any soybean seed containing the round up ready genetics and also containing another patented trait, will not be entitled to patent protection if that patented genetic material was introduced into a RR variety prior to expiration of the licensing agreement, which Monsanto has stated expires in 2014.

Now you know why all the seed companies and their scheisters are scared to death.  They were allowed to produce RR seed under their licensing agreement, and they knowingly violated their agreement by b a s t a r d i z i n g the seed when they attempted to piggy back on Monsanto genetics.  Regardless of what it is called theft is still theft, that is why Pioneer will be writing a $1,000,000,000 check to Monsanto.

No one can benefit from an illegal act, if they have knowledge that the action taken was wrongful, the licensing agreements signed by these seed companies put them on notice when they read and signed the agreement.  I think farmers should be seeking damages from seed companies for the value of the patents they were charging for in the seed containing the RR genetics.    

I do not think they have a snow balls chance in hell, of enforcing a patent introduced  wrongfully and in violation of their licensing agreement with Monsanto. That illegal act would bar them from benefiting from such a patent. If they would have waited until the license expired and then introduced their genetics, they might have a leg to stand on.

This fella may lose, but the days of farmers being hosed by seed companies may soon be ending.  I cannot believe his lawyers did not raise the patent expiration date like the Brazilian farmers did who won against Monsanto in Brazil.

We will see how valuable seed company patents really are when weeds become, as they have been, to roundup.   I think many farmers understand there is very little genetics can do for soybean yields, RR helped control weeds, which increased yields, the trumped up faux genetics being filed by seed companies are a joke.  Soybeans are not like corn where hybrid seed produces more bushels.   Adios Amigos. John

Senior Advisor
kraft-t

Doesn't some one have the responsibility to preserve pure genetics without the roundup gene. With all seed sources corrupted with the roundup gene then Monsanto may have a exclusive patent on all soy beans and be the lone provider.

If such was the case in the livestock industry, one would have to pay a royalty to the breeder that provided the bull ten years ago, in order to use a cow for breeding purposes.

Those are unreasonable requirements and greatly restrict farmer independence.

Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

So the plot thickens.......and its ironic our democratic tree huggin, bobblehead loving hippy friend kraft should bring it up........

Its called business........who's fault was it to use the trait......yours?????the hundreds of other seed companies that chose to use it??????or big M???????

No one forced anyone to use that trait in breeding or thru commercial sale.........

I encourage everyone to think long and hard about that......its called supply and demand........if no one bought into the trait it would have failed and we would be doing something else.......

There is a reason its on 90 plus percent of the bean acres..........if people didn't want it, they wouldn't buy it.....

And don't give me that crap of I didn't have a choice........still raise some non gmo corn today.......and non gmo beans up until about 7 years ago......

Can't sell it if no one buys it......PRETTY FREAKIN SIMPLE....

This isn't government were you tell people what to do.......which is exactly what all those that want the trait for free.......wish would happen......
Advisor
idalivered

Monsanto kinda made this situation worse by their own greed. If they didn't charge 4X the price of soybeans , farmer's would be much less inclined to plant their own seed. If seed beans were $30 a unit, there would be much less incentive to save seed (or battle in court). I've never planted saved rr seed, but am always tempted in a replant situation.

Veteran Advisor
BA Deere

You hear rumors of big shots that have always cleaned and used a potion of their seed beans.  If they got caught there would be wiggle room of saying "I was planting 120K" when really they were planting 160K, but their seed cost would be 25% less than the honest person. That bennefit was more helpful when $7 was a good bean price.

Glyphosate is a outdated technology these days anyway, Monsanto ought to hang it up.  I know guys that didn`t spray glyphosate and planted RR seed corn, just because they liked the numbers, that "tech fee" they payed was for nothing.  I will say this, grass is no longer a issue in fields after years of spraying Roundup, a few yrs ago I thought foxtail would cover us up by now, if it got above 4" Accent was about too late.

Don`t redistribute my wealth, redistribute my work ethic.
Senior Advisor
kraft-t

We will see how my name calling friend likes giving monsanto royalties on soybean seed no matter where it comes from because the world supply is all contaminated with the roundup gene.

You ought to be able to go to the local coop and buy bin run corn or beans and not be sued for planting said seed on your farm. The burden for genetic purity should remain with monsanto.

Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

lol....2....

so you wanna go to the coop and buy some bin run corn and plant it..............LOL...........

ok...........good luck with that............

o wait, thats right............nevermind.............you are a union city slicker.............

and FYI, not all the worlds supply is contaminated with RR............ever heard of NON-GMO markets for both corn and soya.........:smileysurprised:....................and guess what..............if you play in that arena you know there are extra steps in place to keep things pure..............

SO WHOS JOB IS IT REALLY TO KEEP THINGS SEGRAGATED......................THE COOPS??????????YOURS?????????????BIG M???????????

and FYI.............even seed that doesnt have the RR gene, is usually still patent protected..............and when RR1 goes off patent, go ask your local pioneer dealer if its ok to brown bag some of those non patent RR1 beans...........bet you get a funny look.............

and if you are really concerned, go find some non patent protected soybeans out there............plant them and save them.............they do exist.............heck even the article you so proudly posted says Mr Bowman had a stash................

lol, o wait thats right.................you are a union city slicker.............

its your job to take care of what you think is important................NOT THE GOVERNMENTS..................MAN YOU ARE A LAZY..........

Advisor
giolucas

Wow.......