Advisor

Surely I didn't read today's report right..

It basically said corn condition was as good or better than last year at this time.  Must be to much backyarditis on my part. I know there was a lot of bad corn in places last year, I just didn't realize it hit this early.

FWIW, I can't remember a year when I have not produced over the national average.  Might have been one, but it would have been close to the final number.  With all my zeroed acres, even if the rest would pull a 180 average, which would mean some of it would have to be 200+, my farm average on original planted acres would end up around 137.    We will see how that works out next January.  Take the rest down to 160 and I am down around 123 or so.  We will see if this year is different, and if I am really under trend or over trend.  If the rest is 140(very possible)  it gets to a really ugly 107.

No garden of eden in this neck of the woods, but it can always be a lot worse.

Advisor

Re: Surely I didn't read today's report right..

Another thought, with last years ratings just a little behind this year's at this time...the final yield was 123.

Advisor

and you are expecting US good/excellent ratings to also be 25% on September 30, 2013 like they were last year??

Veteran Advisor

[ Edited ]

3 things: not sure the ratings mean much when plant is so young...........isn't development 4-5 weeks behind last year, on balance?........difficult to quantify these ratings from NASS? 

c-x-1

Advisor

do they mean much when the corn plant is dead and brown in the fall??

Esteemed Advisor

Ray,  you can see whether or not the corn plant has an ear on it.   By far a better estimating chance.   It means a lot more to some folks.......like the guys that run the combines.   Smiley Wink

Veteran Advisor

affirmative

Advisor

so an ear, not matter the size, means "excellent" and no ear means "very poor"

or do I need to adjust my thinking process on this subject?

Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

No Ray,  Size does matter!     Smiley LOL

Honored Advisor

I used to keep an answer to that in my office.  I had two ears of corn that were both exactly 22 rows around and 50-52 seeds long in each row.  Several years ago the seed vendors and scouts liked to use the formula to guess yield.  It included these details and plants per ft. etc.  

One of those ears was irrigated and huge-------- probably from a thin spot or an old buffalo wallow.  The other was a dry land ear that looked like a minniature of the other--- not 5 inches long.  Which reminds me of why I just jumped off the turnup truck.

Roarintiger1 ------------------------------- GREAT timing on that joke.

And a motto that matches -------------- BRAVO---------------- 

"Success happens when preparation meets opportunity"