Senior Contributor

Take a look at corn planting in Brazil

Hello boys,

Here I'm sending you a report about the works of a farmer that is located in Castro, 111.8 miles northwest of Curitiba, Parana, in Brazil. This farmer, Paulo Bertolini, was already featured at Agriculture.com in a few stories as a director of the Brazilian Corn Growers Association. In this season,  Bertolini planted 1,200 acres of corn. His works started with three weeks of delay because of dry weather. Finally, nearly two weeks and a half ago 3.9 inches of rain dropped and allowed planting. He plants in no-till over oats. There were some occurrences of frosts and below average temperatures in the region. Bertolini is finishing the planting of corn and is about to start soybeans. Here there are a few photos. Let me know if you have any questions.

How does that look?WhatsApp Image 2017-10-04 at 3.52.13 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-10-04 at 3.44.42 PM.jpeg

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Take a look at corn planting in Brazil

What is th seed, gmo, non gmo, hybrid, bin run, from a big name co, and at what cost, price does he pay?

Esteemed Advisor

They don't plant any GMOs in Brazil.......right?   Smiley Wink

Senior Contributor

I'm told it's a Dekalb 230 Pro3

Senior Contributor

A bag of 20 kg (44.09 pounds or 60,000 seeds) is priced at R$ 530. Considering today's dollar quotes, he paid US$ 167 per bag approximately. He uses 75,000 plants per hectare. All GMO.

Honored Advisor

Thank you

Sounds like Monsatin has their hands in South American farmers pockets pretty deep too.

Veteran Contributor

Hobby you are looking in the wrong direction. The Black Sea region is where the non-gmo's are raised. This is the region that will soon give us nightmares. Their ground is north Iowa good and cheaper than dirt. They also are spending money for an early maturing hybrid, like 60 day stuff.

Senior Advisor

IIa is a 100% right on the Black sea area - Talked to a Very well known Agronomist that was on a 2 week speaking tour - He told me that in one area - rain is only like 15 inches for the year - yet they have some pretty good numbers on bpa - I said there soil must have some pretty good water holding capacity - He said  OH yeah - Organic matter of 7 to 8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!     

I think that may be a good spot for me to  set up a Valley dealership - lol

Honored Advisor

liakmf,

Very true 

the irony of that is over the years more people have starved to death in that area and yet it is cheap land and many of its farmers are working here in the US because they can make more as a hired man.

Frequent Contributor

It sounds like they definitely need irrigation if they only receive 15 inches of precip. I've always been of the understanding it takes about 25 inches of usable water to raise a good crop