Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

Talking Heads Weather 3

Well, this week I again agree with the talking heads. They tended to maximize the rain in the forecast, and minimize that they are showing the northern corn belt with the next 4 weeks of below normal temps. That's the real story that's developing right there, yet not anything was said about it. My farm is in one of the areas that is not tasseling yet. There's corn here that was planted so late that it is only a foot tall, but it sure looks good! I would have to call it excellent.

Jen
Senior Contributor
jec22

Re: Talking Heads Weather 3

Jen, you are over thinking this.  The rules for 2013 are:  rain makes grain, heat makes grain, dry makes grain and cold makes grain.  Even I am starting to believe that 'everything is wonderful and these new hybrids call produce no matter what'.

I thought we would know in November were the truth lies, but now it looks like it will be late December. 

It is really quite entertaining, if you can put aside the money part.   My kids lost a chunk of change of their inheritance this week, other than that, I will be fine.

It is been a wild, wonderful, profitable five years to be a grain farmer.  Is it over?  Maybe.........maybe not.  Right now, it pays to be a bear.

So. IA
Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

Re: Talking Heads Weather 3

It is unbelievable that all the adverse weather this year is going to provide this record crop. Is the grain run done? I don't see how it can be. As long as we are producing food and fuel on our farms, I see grain farming as having a bright future. Many of our farmers are getting up there in age. I saw a while back that the average age of an American farmer is like 57. What if this crop price sell off has a bigger picture? How many of the older farmers begin to see this as a time to exit the farm, as I have. So with down crop prices, land prices would also come down. More aging farmers retiring could put additional down pressure on land as more becomes available for sale. Somebody in the very large scheme of things could stand to profit handsomely, just like those that bought ethanol plants that went broke some years back.

I try to see things that are beyond what is presented. When I see things such as the grain market this year that don't make sense, I try to look beyond the obvious, and what we are being fed, to make sense of the why. I'm just throwing it out there for discussion, and it makes me wonder.....

Jen