Honored Advisor

Thanks from the fire

Reports on the radio this morning said semi loads of hay just keep coming from everywhere to the kansas burned out ranches.

It was over 1800 loads a few days back.  Now its even a load of fence posts from the southeast and fencing materials from several places.... and now some fencing crews........ 

This article is from the Wichita Eagle....

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article140612018.html

The fireman Smith in this article lost cattle as he was fighting fire to help others.  He is as good a man as one could hope to be.

I would do about anything for him, I have known him since he was 5 years old.

Anyhow I can offer some direct thanks for all you who have send things and offered.  There have been as many additional calls of offers as there have been trucks delivering.  

A friend went east and said they passed hay trucks 4 and 6 at a time, headed for that area. 

THANK YOU ALL FOR EVERYTHING DOWN TO THE LAST PRAYER...  

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Thanks from the fire

The fires were very under reported, which is sad.  I can not imagine a 30 mile wide fire moving through your farm at 80mph, just awful.  Here`s a video that helps put in perspective what many went through.

https://vimeo.com/209890957?ref=em-share

Veteran Advisor

good video

Honored Advisor

Thanks for that BA........ We managed cattle for some of those guys in the winter out here west on our wheat.

For Bernie Smith and his dad 30+ years in a row beginning in 1960.

You can't imagine how hard it would be getting those guys in front of a camera or microphone in normal times.  The folks in that area are hard working, give it all they got people and not public people........

I heard a story yesterday about Mr. Gardner(the father to the one in the video) bringing his pickup into a local garage to get it serviced and oil changed, driving it in over the lift, then laying down in the seat to get a nap so he could go back to work when it was done.

I've helped pen thousands of cattle over the years for the Smith Ranch between Englewood, ks and Gate, Okla.

As a teenager I rode the Smith trucks for 48 hours several times, while we transfered yearlings from somewhere in that area or off wheat out west, unloading at Dodge City Stockyards or a feedlot near Garden City and I got to drive the empty semi back in the night while one of the Smith brothers slept on the passenger side, resting to load and drive the next load back.   (Those are meaningful hours on a learners permit.)  Bernie's uncle Lloyd stayed at our house in the winter as he took care of cattle on wheat fencing LLoyd and I had helped my dad build...  usually between 80 and 100 miles of hot wire for temporary winter pasture.

Not trying to test the statute of limitations on a driving license,   I am just trying to give you a picture of the work ethic and character of the folks that live in that wonderful area.  They don't get caught by a news person unless they are in a disaster.

Contributor

SW, my son, his friend, and I just got back from 3 days of helping a rancher north of Ashland tear out and build fence. I would second your comment on hard working people and just great people all around. I would encourage anyone with the time and ability especially fencing knowledge to go and help as the amount of fence to replace is mind boggling. We helped this family build 2 miles in 3 days and they had 38 miles to go. Their stories about the fire were gut-wrenching. The rancher we helped lost all of his personal belongings when his house burnt. All he had left were the clothes he had on the day of the fire.  They have a church camp to stay at for lodging and meals in Ashland with people coordinating where you can work. It was a very humbling and rewarding experience and their appreciation to us for our efforts was over whelming. Great people who really need our help. Please keep their needs current here on this site SW as this recovery is going to be a long process.