Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Senior Contributor
ray h.

The hard way!

Growers this year are being told to their faces you are going to produce a records soy and corn crop this year and tank your price to stock piling levels.With the case of short forages,pasture and quality hay ground,I cannot figure why some,at least in a small way would not turn around and walk the other way.Plant a little forage back for the sake of increasing cattle numbers,and some thing quality to feed them.(It seems like it would at least give one a little piece of mind that they were not totaly a usda puppet!)

Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

Re: The hard way!

That's the thing.   Everyone I know of, is looking towards at least a 'little' bit more forage.

Well, if all the cattle producers, plant just a little, it can add up to a lot.

Senior Contributor
ray h.

The BTO,s that like to run around and suck up all the property to over produce when things get a little out of hand,cause the major ag ressesions because the focas is narrow.It is time for focas on real ag demand,(future) and then just maybe prices on the here and now demand would stay just a little bit in tune with the cost of fuel, N, and equipment cost! (In other words,don't be so hasty to over produce!)

Frequent Contributor
noreaster

Good idea ray h

I'm more motivated than ever for spring since second and third rate production is the only way to save the family farm....

NOT!!!!

Nobody likes Wallmart or McDonalds either.......

Senior Contributor
NDf

[ Edited ]

Ray h/ I'm not a BTO. but I'm going to do all I can to produce as many bu's as I can just like  everyone else including the BTO.Tell me what you are going to do on your  part not to   add to the  overproduction of next year's crop. Weather and price are the main factors that lead to overproduction not BTO's. IMO the fault of  BTO's is that they raise the cost of production by raiseing land costs.  

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

As a dinosaur type farmer that has no rented ground the BTO's have not been the same headache for me as for others with rental ground.

I look at the "BTO" as a production reduction device around here. Most manage to slobber over some of their ground every year. Leave 5 to 10bu piles here and there where they over filled something. Run 24+ row planters where only a 6 or 12 will fit etc. Not know the coop missed the back 12 acres with the spray till combine thirty.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Senior Contributor
NDf

I agree with you hooby. Maybe I'm a bit arrogant in that I know  I have better crops than the BTO's in my area.

Senior Contributor
ray h.

I am not a BTO either,but I am very aware that the BTO attitude is more of a cut and run attitude.It's going to happen because they can't see wher they can use all of their let alone their and their neighbors!(any crop) One individual was asking what I would do to avoid maximum grain production,well I am going to plant a little more specialty crop probably a year in advance of a perfect market senario because I see it coming! About 10% of my intended wheat acreage!

Senior Contributor
NDf

So ray you are going to plant 10% in a speaciality crop what happens if everbody does the same? The answer is over production of that crop even if  BTO's  aren't involved. The only way not to overproduce  is not to plant and who can afford to do  that.

Advisor
Faust100F

All I know is that sooner or later BTO's become LTO's south of I-80 and then head back North to the potholes of Northern Iowa, or the Brush Country of North Missouri. John