Ag Talk | Agriculture.com
Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

The start of a turnaround?

So, is this rally so far today the start of a new higher trend? Sure sounds like the outside markets are helping out the grains. Think it'll last? 

What's everybody up to this morning? Crop all in the bin and Thanksgiving leftovers all eaten? Now what's cookin' at your place?

-----------------------------------------------
Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
Friend
outsideview

Re: The start of a turnaround?

wouldnt call it a trend just yet, expect recent and shorts to get cleaned out for sure though..

there are some things to be said in favour of  fundamentals - producers across the world are hating the low prices,  low prices ought to see consumer nibble for coverage, and margins on the meats is decent..

that said, do get the feeling that thre would be sellers technical once targets are achieved.. remember, europe has a long way to go before they give the markets the confidence they have ring fenced the euro.. till then everybody trades for short horizons..

just my 2 bits..

cheers

Veteran Advisor
roarintiger1

It's still corn harvest here in NW Ohio........The ground is wet and the forecast is for 2-3" more rain tomorrow... It will take a freeze now to finish harvest.....after the water goes down!

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." "Success happens when preparation meets opportunity"
Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

I don't know, but myself, and a bunch of people I know have corn in the bin that doesn't have to move until July or August, and it seems like $6.50 is what it will take to get it moving.  If the outside support holds, I think that might be what it takes.

Frequent Contributor
R John

It will last until the next 'financial crisis'. Of course the current crisis has not been solved. Nothing has changed! Bandaids on bullet holes does not stop the bleeding. Major surgery is the only fix. Global financial collapse is coming. Noone knows when, but it is in the cards. We are living in a house of cards that will tumble down on us all.

Senior Advisor
sw363535

Financial collapse------maybe.  Global------probably not..  

USA financial collapse----------notice how the pain isn't too bad on the way down.  This has already started and so far we are on the water slide gaining speed.

Only thing for sure is that change is upon us.

1. We have been the worlds leading economy and we are throwing that responsibility away as fast as possible. 

2. There is no leadership (not political--- humble, wise leadership---in Washington or the voting booth) to change 1.

3. Much of the world is better off than it has been for centuries.   Most of the people of east europe, middle east and asia(excluding japan) have much improved conditions and buying power compared to the previous two centuries.( and more relative peace).

4. South America has stepped up economically and governmentally compared to where they were just 50 years ago.

5. If the US realizes that 8-10% return on investment is OK, and stop the lust for 30% on every investment, and suddenly decides to stop spending $$ we don't have---stop living like "the end is near"----we might actually get a softer landing than we deserve.  

6.  The eurozone is not that big a part of the global economy-----------we have a bigger problem than they do.

You are right in that we have some hard sledding ahead of us.

sw
Senior Contributor
tree fmr

sw,

Why did you exclude Japan?  I have lived in Japan since 2007 (stationed on ships so I don't spend much time actually in Japan, maybe 3 months out of the year).  I have traveled around Japan some and think they are doing ok, not great but good.  Just wondering what your thoughts are?  I try not to talk politics with my Japanese friends but if it should come up I might ask a question or two.  I will be in Japan over the holidays and attending a couple of parties with my local friends.  They always put on one heck of a Bonnekai party!  I have been out of the country for much of the year so I am not sure how the strong yen is affecting them.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Advisor
jrsiajdranch

[ Edited ]

Well Jeff we struck water! only problem is that it is in our shop ! UUGGGHHHH seems that they built the shop over a water line that feeds one of our heifer barns so now we are gonna try to figure out how to route a new line into the heifer barn. 

ALso dehorning calves and harvetin rocky mountain oysters today. While milkin cows on both ends of the day and trying to catch up on bookwork.

Lots to do around here all the time.

Oh BTW yesterday wan't the turn around that many hoped for.

Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

Yikes! Well hey, look on the bright side -- at least it's not -20...yet! 

Good luck getting that fixed up. Heck, it's almost Christmas break for the school kids, isn't it? Put those young 'uns to work on it! 

Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
Senior Advisor
sw363535

Japan has seen times of greater prosperity and their economy is more intertwined with ours. 

sw