Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Veteran Advisor
c-x-1

This weeks heat aside

[ Edited ]

Here's the pic that cements the story...esp w/out roots. is M. Nature making a fool of the crops and mkts? It is still 90* in St. Louis - 9 pm cdt.

ScreenShot036.gif

Senior Contributor
BF2012

Heat

Went to get something to eat with the wife @ around 9:00 pm....we're 100 miles east of St. Louis.  Temp in my pickup said 92.

Veteran Advisor
c-x-1

Re: Heat

it's not just the dryness...not just the heat this week...any biological system just plain doesn't function as well with this one extreme to another weather pattern we've been in this growing season.... don't see much positive (except for price) coming out of this. I know you took it hard in IL last yr.....so NO INSULT TO INJURY INTENDED here.........

.....but a few said it when 60% of the crop was planted in same week of May. ..What if is hot during pollination? Well, she gave us the runner up, by a hair...peak seed/grain fill...........i'm shaking my head.......the heat breaks--a little--in 3-4 days, but it still looks dry out 2 weeks.......don't see a lot of hope.

I'm simply a scientific realist, BF--and it seems like you are, as well............hang in there!!!

Senior Contributor
BF2012

[ Edited ]

I have 600 acres of corn planted at the end of April and got it emerged and growoing ahead of 27" of rain.  32% N pre-plant and 15 gallon of 28 with spray.....corn got going and outgrew the water issues, never showed any N loss.   It is in fuill dent, just about to black layer....sprayed with Fungicide . . . .looks like it could go 200+.  Husks are loosening and turning brown, stalks still green.

Replanted corn at end of May just pollinated 2 weeks ago. .... it's done....limp from top to bottom....was bright green showing no signs of stress 3 days ago.    Have some 7-12 Replant that is about two weeks from tassle.  (don't ask)   Insurance approved for replant, we couldn't get in, and they denied us tearing it up to plant beans.  

My neighbors corn planted mid to late may pretty much looked dead today...firing to the ear.....top of plants hanging limp in the heat....no root system established due to early flooding and wet conditions.   Two weeks ago you would think it would make 125-150 ish.   Today....maybe 60 . . . and that might be a stretch.

Very few guys around me have been out sampling their fields other than drive-by yield guesstimates.     I shredded 100% of my corn last year.....beans made 15.    I think the beans could be worse than 2012.....though they have the foliage to make 60....it's getting late, no rain in forecast for 45 days out....I'm feeling like Belchazzar at the Feast.....The Handwriting is on the Wall....

Veteran Advisor
c-x-1

glad to hear about the Apr planted corn! guard it with your life.:smileywink:

Advisor
425Cat

Re: This weeks heat aside

Cx throw up a bean chart with some fancy lines or something. Have ever used forks on your charts
Veteran Advisor
c-x-1

Hey Cat,

you know me better than that - no fancy lines or forks, spoons, knives...just trendlines and words and semi-cirles to label something noteworthy.

ScreenShot036.gifScreenShot037.gif

Advisor
425Cat

Is that there island see thru , does the gap this week gap the other gap on the other side couldn't tell
Veteran Advisor
c-x-1

top of the gap rests on the Feb highs--tonight and tomorrow we'll see if it holds as a break-a-way----think it's acdemic (immaterial) whether it has to fill it or not, however.