Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Today's BILLION+ dollar rain

Today's rain was in excess of a billion dollar rain. (closer to 2 Billion)

Don't you just love the new inflated #'s?

13,000,000,000 x 10.5 cents = 1 BILLION 300 million loss on the corn side alone

3,000,000,000 x 17 cents = another 1/2 BILLION

Sure do wish I had gotten more than just down prices. . like actually gotten the rain.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Folded, spindled, and mutilated

The above three descriptions are three of the four things I feel about the markets this year.

From now on anytime I see someone needing help or something similar especially along the road the first thing I will do a check to see what they do for a living.

Grain traders, Crop scouts, and grain buyers, and others that have had a part in this fiasco  will be left where they stand. Mainly because the overwhelming feeling that trumps the top three is...,

Pizzed off.  

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Senior Reader
Will

Re: Today's BILLION+ dollar rain

You put in the price change but what about the yield change?  Isn't the yield change why the price changed?  And, I sure do wish it had rained here; seems we often miss out.

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

The yield change is still a subjective thing. with an early frost/freeze that northern Iowa rain thing won't mean much.

At my place with no rain it went down some more.

Senior Contributor
tree fmr

I thought northern Iowa PP'd everything? So that rain should not matter!
Advisor
time:thetippingpoint

Love these comments. Since about 4% of the grain belt got rain I think the Shagme's comments and math are extremely accurate. Just giving us a chance to buy it lower :-)

Did you listen BIG BOB's comments about the PoorFarmer crop tour results meaning the USDA's yield numbers are low.

Well, I'll be kind.....that is just a MORONIC way to interpret data that suggests the crop is below average in almost every state (except SD and all the southern states I suppose).

Hope BOB is selling lots of calls and buying lots of puts. (I need some sucker to sell puts too) :-)

Advisor
time:thetippingpoint

Almost forgot, if 30% of nIA is PP, treekiller has a point, they just got 3" of rain on their cover crops. Good for next year, but doesn't add many bushels to this year. :-)

Senior Contributor
Mike M2692830

I was thinking the same thing..rains fell on areas that didn't really need any. And yes, the oats and soybeans that will be disked up in November look fantastic.....MikeM
Advisor
jrsiajdranch

Yea but don;t forget all the acres that just got weed control have great lookin volunteer corn!!!!!!!! LMAO

Advisor
c-x-1

Mike, Time, Tree farmer ----same observation here ---rain fell today in areas that needed it the least, as far as - total US C/B Prod. 

Hobby,

just a friendly attempt at uplifting and BELIEVING that reality prevails in mkt price, in the end --try turning that p.o. energy into patience.

also, historically - back 30-50 years.....mkts behaved very similarly as other analogue planting/growing years.