Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

UNCLE

UNCLE

Just can't take it any more just have to say I sold corn over $8 and not just 20ish bu like last week. Remember it is their offer not my demand on the price thingy. ($8.15)

Just one load is all so far but the $ signs are there.

Has anybody figured out that that is over $4 a five gal bucket full?

Another way to look at what is going on is that a old 3300bu Govt bin that nobody wants any more has the value of a brand new vehichle in it at todays prices. I'm just guessing here but few or at least a small % of farmers have many of those bins full to sell left.

I hope that the farmers have their things together and in order because the spring back in prices when it comes is going to hurt.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Senior Contributor
too close for comfort

Re: UNCLE

Hi Hobby: How do you think a person 3 generations removed from a farm would respond if you put a bushel of corn on their kitchen table and told them they could buy the whole thing for $8.00 and this is as high as it's ever been.

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Good question and should be done with reporters there. It should also be labeled to how many boxes of corn flakes it makes and it's value at the store in that form. Maybe how many corn bread muffins are there in that bushel basket.

From the weather report that was just on TV and the overnight's trade so far I should have hollered UNCLE a few more times?

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

I hear you.  I sold a little at $8.22, but was scared to sell too much. 
Here is what some of the dryland around here is looking like, some is better, some is worse.  It is easy to tell exactly what the pivot reaches in this field, though.

IMG_0095.JPG

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

How does it get worse than the nothing in that picture? No green at all?

Senior Contributor
ray h.

Be sure and tell them how much a new combine or tractor cost when you blow them away with the eight $ bucket!

Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

On the sandy spots a little ways South of me, the corn is so flat, they are having trouble picking it up with a haybine.

Some guys made a couple swaths last week, and baled it, to get a sample to see if it would be safe to feed cows.  Back then, it looked about like the corn in the picture.  Now, it has fallen so flat, they have to run a haybine very slowly, to give the reel time to grab the stalks, and pull them in, or they leave quite a bit in the field.

Senior Contributor
highyields

I had a chance at $8 last week,  Now its $7.61.  Double **bleep** it.   whatever  I guess.  

My grandpa never sold corn on the high, but never got the low and was always satisfied.  I wish he was here some days to see how high corn and beans have gotten, he passed away in 2005 and didn't get to see this price run up.

I think when it gets $8 I'll sell it .. I think I'm the only one left at the COOP with corn though, at least there isn't very many of us. 

When wheat hit $7 a few years back I was the only one left holding any.   I sold it,,,,,,, it went to $9.  HAHA, Oh well.     

Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

I took a load of corn into the Coop yesterday with my little straight truck, all 330 bushels of it around 2:30 PM.  They said I was the second guy hauling corn in, all week. 

Think about it, Wednesday afternoon, and I was the second guy briging in corn, to the loca CoOp.

It was my contract overrun, I had about 2K bushels extra, sold some when It hit $8.22, still have 2 loads left to go.