Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Senior Contributor
hanktbd

Re: Weather market; Snow in Brazil

Is that second crop corn already mature and being harvested or is it still green??

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Looks like a definite case of "global warming" to me.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Friend
caspeta

luisvieira wrote:

Let me get this straight. The lowest temperature registered in Brazil was minus five degrees Celsius (23 Fahrenheit), but with a sensation of -17 degrees Celsius. But that just happened in those high areas in border of Rio Grande do Sul and Santa Catarina (nearly 5,000 feet of altitude). By comparison, I'm in Porto Alegre (nearly 180 miles form that border), the mostly populated city in the south, and its lowest temperature today was two degrees Celsius (sea level). The last time we saw snow in Brazil was in 2009. In 2006, snow was seen near the border with Uruguay, where the altitude is low.

This is incorrect. The lowest officialy recorded temparature is -14°C (6.8°F), with -36°C (-32.8°F) wind chill.

A evidence of "global warming" would be the fact that it snowed only in July, as it tends to snow from March onwards.

Best regards.

http://www.cbmet.com/cbm-files/14-0715e8e8892ab667a081a8d4e66cdc50.pdf

Friend
Rogerpenna

It snows every year in southern Brazil and it used to snow more in the 19th century and first half of the 20th century. There are registers of 2 meters deep snow accumulation at Passo Fundo in 1879 (not official) and 1 meter deep accumulation in São Joaquim, 1957 (official record).

So a brief spell of cold weather, even if it breaks the last 15 years records, is not proof in favor nor against Global Warming. 

The last large and spread snowfall in southern Brazil was in 2010, as seen in the following videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk3C3mHMUHs

but it also snowed in 2012... in the SPRING (26th september): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xJDOoMpZsU

and 2011... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9CpMbu-hgM

What I mean is that it ALWAYS snows in southern Brazil, usually in small intensities, sometimes in larger intensities. Its never news outside Brazil, so when it is, foreigners think it was the first time.

But it used to snow much more 60-70 years ago and before. Thus although I am also skeptical of AGW, brazilian snow can not be used as evidence in favor or against AGW.

Btw, there are no coffee plantations in Rio Grande do Sul and Santa Catarina states, but crops in Paraná state may suffer.

Community Manager
marketeye

Rogerpenna,

Thanks for your thoughts. I just wanted to point out that Luis did mention that the coffee plantations in Parana would suffer.

Thanks,

Mike

Community Manager
marketeye

80 Brazilian cities reported snowfall today. 80!

Senior Advisor
Shaggy98

Mike I'm a few days removed from my last geography class, so forgive my ignorance.  How much earlier is this snow fall from the Brazilian average, or do they even receive significant snow fall?

Senior Contributor
gurly3801539

That seems like a lot.  How many are in a Brazilian?:smileyvery-happy: 

Community Manager
marketeye

Shaggy98,

It's early. And they don't normally receive much snowfall.

Mike

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

[ Edited ]

Kind of interesting this thing called normal.

How far back we going to go for "normal"?

100 years, 150 years . how about 1000 years? More? Too many?

While in Iceland we visited the Skaftafell National Park visitors center.

Kind of an interesting history, they have history going back about 1150 years there. Until

1362 when the weather turned cooler and the Vatnajökull glacier started to advance and covered whole valleys full of trees and farms. Vatnajökull glacier now covers about 8100 square kilometers or just under 10% of Iceland up to 4500 feet thick.

They had 400 years of "normal" till then. Those valleys are still full of glacier tongues.

Which one is "normal"?

The one up till 1362 or the one now?

ANSWER: niether one

Normal IS change , it just happens most times on too slow a scale for most of us in our short lifetimes unless we happen along at the pivot point in time.  

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."