Senior Contributor
vrbuck

Well when do we officially call

That planters are beginning to roll in the midwest.  I would sure like one person to answer that  question.

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Re: Well when do we officially call

VR: why ask that Question? Are you looking for an argument or fight?

You and most on here know corn planting starts about the first of March in the south and goes till about the 15th of June.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Advisor
roarintiger1

I'm sure the planters are rolling in the midwest.......out of the back corner of the barn is about as far as most are gonna roll for now.....Geez...............

Accuweather has highs in the 40s for next week in Ohio.

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." "Success happens when preparation meets opportunity"
Senior Contributor
Buckley_HF

Lows in the lower 30's for east central IL at month's end. There are guys rolling, very few though. 3 out of the 4 seed reps I've talked to said you better make the 1st time count or there will be big time issues with availability. It's been fantastic weather here for the past 2 weeks and gas is going on in terrific conditions but most will wait for April, and even then it's early. I wouldn't be able to sleep or be glued to my iPhone weather apps if I had seed in the ground. Forecast gets any colder and it will get VERY interesting.
Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

its almost a given that planters roll in the Midwest every March............you can find a field here or there or even more wide spread than that some years in IL, IA, IN, KS, MO, NE and points further south............whats your point...........are you going to try and correlate early springs to yield and acres............your too late, DTN already did that last week, and they used May 10th, which is far from early............guess what, IMO it doesn't show too much other than a bunch of colors, lines, dots and numbers...........IMO it actually tells another story, look at how many dots have fallen above that 0% line on the right, and as we enter into an era of 90M plus acres its going to be harder and harder to add any acres for corn in an early spring, and one big trip up will likely sink em............

Senior Contributor
vrbuck

Ok great we are officially rolling the planters in the Midwest more to come later..............
Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

[ Edited ]

you are somewhat naive to think that because a very small percentage is planted (the first time) in March every year that things are "rolling", but then again I still cant find any calendars anywhere that have 53 weeks.............so whatever..........

by the standards you are using to call things rolling, then nothing is abnormal at this point..........

EDIT:  FYI, there is corn planted somewhere in the United States every month of the year, so did we ever really stop, LOL

Spoiler
:smileysurprised:

Veteran Contributor
Mike central IA

I am excited about the early spring like weather we are having here in Iowa, but planting doesn't seem urgent to me. We have been keeping busy repairing and reseeding waterways, and I have plans to take out some fence and clear junk trees and brush from fence lines and that kind of stuff. Don't other people have jobs like that to do in the spring?  Are bragging rights important enough to risk replanting your crop? Planting twice the acres and harvesting half of them doesn't sound like alot of fun to me.

Senior Contributor
ray h.

I would go ahead and plant a little Orchardgrass in the back 40,and do it right and wait till the callendar says to plant row crops!

Senior Contributor
vrbuck

Well then make the call when we officially start rolling in the field and don't criticize.