Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Community Manager
marketeye

Wet April, Drier May

[ Edited ]

This is more from the MDA Weather Services Spring Agriculture Conference in Chicago. Take a look, if you have a minute.

VIDEO: Meteoroligists see weather troubles short-term

Plus, read about the ag conference's full discussion on the USDA Challenged on March Corn Data.

Thanks,

Mike

Frequent Contributor
frank232

Re: Wet April, Drier May

[ Edited ]

Been watching the weather models like a hawk for the last month.  The cold is becoming even more entrenched in the US east of the Rockies in the next 2 weeks.  Will the pattern break by May?  Hope to God it does, but the models show nothing happening yet.  Cross your fingers and keep changing that furnace filter...no warm up in sight.  Snow and 35F here in southwest WI tonite.

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/ensemble/naefs/semaine2/images/2013041212_054@007_E1_north@ame...

This covers the period April 20th to the 27th...u can see the probability of below normal is pretty likely for most of us outside of the west coast...

Community Manager
marketeye

frank232,

The bottomline is these conditions are just not favorable for field preparation, let alone planting. I know that in Iowa and Illinois, it has been cold and clamy the last three days. Moisture is being received, but soil temps remain cold.

Do you think this all means more soybeans and less corn, for your area?

Just curious,

Mike

Veteran Advisor
BA Deere

If we have a warmer drier May, that is fine with me.  That early planting isn`t always what it`s cracked up to be, sometimes it sits nearly 3 weeks before it comes up and you dig and worry about if you have to replant.  Planting in May usually eliminates that worry.  But I`m sure some that follow the book, start canceling seed orders as it gets into May.  Those in the Dakotas probably would be wise to go to beans if they now have snow and a foot of frost, given the forecast and their shorter growing season.  Bye-bye "97 million acres" but on the flip side I`m sure we`ll hear about "yields going up being as there`s less fringe acres" the bears always have a answer :smileyhappy:

We shouldn`t have to light a candle to see the Sun.
Senior Contributor
NDf

Even here in ND planting corn the first two weeks of May is still a good time to plant corn. There aren't to many GGDU's accumulated in late April and early May around here anyway.