Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Frequent Contributor
noreaster

What does Oats know anyhow?

Senior Contributor
NDf

Re: What does Oats know anyhow?

Yes it does look bullish, but it's been in a uptrend for closeto three months already and markets don't go one way forever.

Veteran Advisor
c-x-1

think he's referring to the age-old adage that oats is a lead indicator for the other grains.:smileywink:

Senior Advisor
Shaggy98

Doesn't this info make you want to go sow some oats?
Senior Contributor
Bugeye

One thing to consider is the tremendous amout of oats that are being used for cover crops. The two biggest seed dealers around here are having trouble sourcing oats, even trying to buy some from the Dakotas for cover crop. That's a big demand for oats that wasn't there just a few years ago. That might be distorting the price a bit.
Frequent Contributor
noreaster

I sold 100 tonne for summer cover crops last year, and the phone is already dinging away.  Funny how things come and go...

Senior Advisor
Shaggy98

Noreaster kinda funny, but I drilled 50 acres of oats last week for that same reason. Cover crop.
Frequent Contributor
NateWCMN

What I know is that at $3.50 new crop oats vs. $7.70 new crop wheat, on some of the lighter ground I farm oats pencils out better.  However, in my area of West Central MN, small grains tend to do best if planted before May 1.  This year there is a lot of snow to melt between now and then.  Maybe the oats market knows some of the small grain acres will go to beans if spring gets too late...