Honored Advisor

What will we see when the combines roll?

Just in my backyard, everyone`s corn has turned from "original recipe" to "extra crispy" ...it just ran out of gas in the last couple days.  There are green stalks and husks (like it should) but a growing amount of dead plants.   I pulled a ear on a dead plant and it`s black layerish with shriveled up kernels, something that shouldn`t be happening yet.  

So, we have part of a population of kernels that are like the "40lb sack of seedcorn" instead of the 56-62lb bags.  You usually expect to be home free if you get the corn anyway over the September finishline, this is the rare case some of us may find out a 25% clip from a ugly finish.

I`m just reporting my backyard, 50 miles north, east, west or south might be a different story, better or worse.  The "just in time" rains didn`t seem to be enough.

image.png

Senior Advisor

Re: What will we see when the combines roll?

Well there's your trouble BA, that dime is 27 years old. Try a newer one and see if you get a better result. You should have spent him a loooooong time ago.

Honored Advisor

Actually it's the time that corn dies, out of time.

Mine had not one rain from planting till three weeks ago, just an occasional Few hundredths to couple tenths .

Can't believe there is anything but recreational combine driving out there, appears to be 100 to 150 bu corn out there.

Glad there is something out there worth getting, if it is on the high side of that range will be good, will not trash my aph so bad.

Honored Advisor

Smiley Very Happy    Here you go 3020, these 2 dimes are worth a bushel of corn, 20 cents a bushel!

image.png

Highlighted
Advisor

BA still has that 1990 dime because he lives in Iowa.

If he was a little north MN would have got that dime in taxes a long time ago!!

Honored Advisor

[ Edited ]

2017-09-10 08.10.50.jpg2017-09-10 08.11.48.jpg

Only half as well off as those northern Iowaegians.

Not bad for no rain

Nodaway silt soil type (river bottom ) 12+ feet deep soil.

Veteran Advisor

sorry to see the corn photo's........not good when the cob is only as big as a dime.  hobby I am surprised that the corn would

do 150, but hope it does.  a while back eagle eye had some photo's of some corn that was as big as a bud light 16 oz can,

so it would be bigger than hobby's coke can, 

just ain't a good year for many people

Esteemed Advisor

To answer the original question........13.5 and 3.7

Honored Advisor

I think "the trade" is going to have to rethink that idea of "the crop size is determined by June 30th".  And then the tours counting kernels, well 9yrs out of 10 that might work...maybe it`ll work a 10th yr out of 10, we`ll see.  But a crop that was sucking in it`s gut and showing it`s pearly whites during the Pro farmer tour is now looking like the Marlboro man after a 3 decade, 3 pack a day habit, in this area at least.  

I`m not sure what`s going on outside my stomping grounds, but this sudden shutdown of the corn, before blacklayer has to make one revisit how many kernels go in a bushel...maybe 100-105,000?  Poor stalk quality equals more harvest losses, light kernels could have that "phantom yield loss" of a couple bushel.

I really think the corn will be ready before the beans.   I can`t imagine there being a wet corn crop, by the 2nd week of Oct it`ll be 12% at this rate.  

Then there`s the issue of recharging the subsoil moisture, one week of rain can change that of course.   But we came into this year with plenty moisture, but that has been exhausted.  

Senior Contributor

BA, just wondering if we are not seeing more plant deceases of late, goss wilt?  Lots of variabilities out there in the fields.  It will take the combine to "roll" before we know.