Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Senior Advisor
kraft-t

Whats the difference between grains and seeds?

I heard a cereal company glowing with the concept that their delightful cereal contained wholesome grains and seeds as ingredients. AS far as I know corn oats and wheat are merely the reproductive seeds produced to renew the species. They are every bit as much a seed as the weed seed that is blowing in the wind or the ssed that is in your apple or orange.

Anyway, I thought it was odd that they made the distinction. What ever seeds they are talking about are no longer seeds if they grind them up into flour. I suppose those seeds are more wholesome than corn or wheat.

Veteran Advisor
roarintiger1

Re: Whats the difference between grains and seeds?

Monsanto knows the answer to your question.    Seeds and grains look exactly alike.....the only difference is that seeds cost many times more than the grains.  

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." "Success happens when preparation meets opportunity"
Advisor
c-x-1

from the farmer planting pics in Louisiana the corn seeds are pink whereas the kernals on corn on the cob are obviously yellow. i would say that's the primary distinction.:smileywink:

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Re: What's the difference between grains and seeds?

A grain is a unit of measurement of mass that is nominally based upon the mass of a single seed of a cereal.

A seed is a small embryonic plant enclosed in a covering called the seed coat, usually with some stored food. It is the product of the ripened ovule of gymnosperm and angiosperm plants which occurs after fertilization and some growth within the mother plant.

complements of Wikipedia

Senior Contributor
NDf

While all grains are onsidered seeds not all seeds are considered grain Oil seeds like soy or sunflowers and many others aren't grain. Then you have seeds like apples and many other plants which aren't considered grain.

Advisor
c-x-1

I'm being serious here: do both seeds and grains contain the kingdom of heaven in them - you know, the biblical - fractal (complete DNA) deal?

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Seems like all grains are seeds, but not vice-versa.

Advisor
c-x-1

interesting.............like all humans are mammals, but not all mammals are humans..........or all corn & beans are plants, but not all plants are corn?

...........hope I'm not getting too far down the rabbit hole, here.

Advisor
hardnox604008

Flax, sesame etc. not grains?

"People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. Intellectual myopia, often called stupidity, is no doubt a reason."

J.K. Galbraith
Contributor
iowastateisgreat

Grains are Democrats and seeds are Republicans.

Grains sit around while someone else pays for storage.

Seeds grow up and produce something.