Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Who Is Jenny?

From ECIN:

"Jenny is a retired Jedi Knight -- wise beyound her years - she use to be a advisor on the starship enterprize under James T. Kirk but seen the light and is a farmer ( i think ) for the great state of MN -- where thats at - up north I think .  Jenny uses the stars and star gas to tell the weather and the markets."

I gotta admit - that was a good ECIN.  It's taken me a while to stop laughing.  And no - I am not a mule skinner.  You guys crack me up.

There are a few of us gals that farm.  We get our hands dirty and drive the combine and shovel what needs to be shoveled.  Or at least I did until my heart problem a few years ago.

My farm was in Wisconsin.  We sold it just a month ago, and close on it in just over a week.  The auction is scheduled with Barry Hager for Aug 24 (maybe 22nd - not sure which yet).  My health has not been the best for a few years, and it's time.  I didn't have any heirs that wanted to take it over (and no - I'm not adopting any of you OR taking applications for adoption right now).  

It is very difficult to give up something that I have truely loved doing for these many years.   Those of you that have retired from farming know what I am going through.  Making the decision was the really hard part.  It's a bit easier now, but still very difficult to accept.   Watching reruns of Green Acres in between getting ready for the auction is giving me a least some comic relief -  and you guys, of course.

My take on the weather has been from observing the various weather patterns all my life, as a pilot making sure I kept myself and passengers alive, and as an air traffic controller, helping keep my pilot customers aware of the changing conditions and ow to best navigate a line of thunderstorms that went from the Canadian border to Mexico.  You always hoped that the only hole open to navigate through was NOT in your sector.  Many times I came home and said, "They don't pay me enough for this job!"  I loved it - but the stress took it's toll and now it's time to kick back a bit.

And, yes, I do live up in the great white north of MN, and farm in WI on a farm that adjoins the farm where I grew up.  A farm that I purchased in 1977 and lost in 1981, and was able to buy back from the ASCS in 1987.  One of the few that was able to get back into farming.  

And I will miss My CaseIH 225CVT emensly, and I will miss running my 2188 combine.  But so is life.  And there you have it.  

Tomorrow is a big report day again.  The crops around here suck (that did get in).  Pittsville, WI I think is ground 0 for all that is bad this year, nothing in the ground yet.  Weeks away from getting in the field.  It's going to hurt some people really bad.  To those I can say only one thing - you never know what life is going to bring.  I had a plan to end my life when I lost the farm in 1981.  Thank you God for helping me to find the strength to not do it.

JennyS_MN

Veteran Contributor

Re: Who Is Jenny?

One of the finest posts I have EVER read. Well done Jenny. 

Senior Contributor

I know alot of people that lost there farms back in the 80's and it was not fun to see.
Senior Advisor

Jenny, thanks for everything that you've given to production Ag. You might not realize it or maybe no one ever told you, but your hard work made a big difference in someone's life. Sounds like your going to have a nice lineup for your auction, that must be hard. Stay strong and take care.

PS, stay on board here at A.com, we all need to be kept in line at times.
Honored Advisor

I have said it many times and it has never been more appropriate than this time.  Thanks for helping us on Marketing, and "I am glad you are with us".

Veteran Advisor

thanks for sharing. My dad lost his farm in the 80-'s he is back at it now with me and I have 3 boys who are interested.  Nice to hear you overcame.

Veteran Advisor

[ Edited ]

jennys,

like I said when i saw your first post of the drought monitor, we all welcome you for the 2nd time. these guys can say i'm lying, but your first avatar was a picture of a female.

your posts emanate wisdom, so ECIN knew as well....about the stars, starship, etc===pilots ARE closer to the heavens or stars.

that mule skinner bit was good- I thought, "this is 2013, why the bleep - it sounded 2 millenia ago."  

thanks for contributing here.

c-x-1 

Senior Advisor

c-x-1 This is a great day ! I knew -- I knew - I knew !  lol   The Spock mind bender has never failed me ! this is where I put my hand on the screen and can pick up waves from the poster on who they there are ! lol

Jenny -- That was a out standing post !   The first time I read your reply back to me -- I said Ken -- this gal has some spunk !  I like that  ! your like my wife --  I can give her the business and she has a come back -- like bang !

BTW you don't happen to be a CFI-1 do you ? if so you can come down here and give  SWOhio ( bins ) and I lessions !  yes we will pay you -- up front if need be -- lol 

Double BTW  -- since you are a pilot --- I'm sure you have your own plane -- your welcome to to fly in to KGEZ for a hundred dollar hambuger -- I' ll buy -- lol

Heres a picture of her plane -------- It's a Curtis JN-4 --- OR called a ?????????????  Jenny !

Have a great day

Ken

Senior Contributor

Jenny,  one of the nicest posts I've read.

May God bless you as you travel through life after farming.

Honored Advisor

SEE I was right

A mule skinner is someone who takes a difficult task and overcomes and preservers.

I might have got the gender a little confussed but then again I'm talking mules again.