Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

Who's rollin'?

Heard some talk the other day that there'd be some combines starting to roll in a few spots around us here in Iowa in the next few days. So, anybody kickin' the tires and lightin' the fires yet?

All I know is we are supposed to hit 100 degrees here tomorrow, and get darn near there today. That's going to be rough...

Hey, happy Sunday, everybody. Hope everybody's NFL teams win today. I've got my eye on my fantasy football team right now...

-----------------------------------------------
Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
Senior Contributor
IllinoisSteve

Re: Who's rollin'?

Jeff,

Are you guys at the point where lack of rain and hot temps will no longer make a difference or would some rain and cool temps still help?  It sounds to me like many areas are at the point where it really doesn't matter anymore.  We have been fortunate to have crop saving rains in our area over the past three weeks so at this point the hotter temps are not really a factor.  All corn is dented and a lot of it is nearing blacklayer.  Mid 80's to low or mid 90's this week will only speed things up a bit.  I think we are at least two weeks from any corn being harvested in this area.  Beans are changing fast and I think locally there will be some beans harvested within 10 days.  Right now I am thinking corn will be very good and beans will be average or a little below.  This is locally of course.  I think the bean crop nationwide is going to suck wind.  Corn will be all over the place.

Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

Good points, Steve. I think you're right...rain now is probably not going to mean much. The temps seem like the real killer around here these days.

Good luck getting rolling! Stay cool out there!
Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
Advisor
rayjenkins

dumped 15 loads of new crop corn on Friday 9/6

it's still plenty wet...25%+, and we are taking corn up to 28% on a half rate moisture scale, so expect to see increasing amount of harvest activity through the week....

drove down to Memphis, MO area on Saturay.....a group of farmers planted corn in the April 16-20 time period and a few have opened up fields....once again, needs 2-4 days of field drying ....yields will be very good in that area...

I expect week of Septeber 16 will be quite active as folks try to capture the new crop basis opportunities...

this heat spell brought the crop forward 5-10 days pretty easily....

Ray J

Senior Advisor
ECIN

[ Edited ]

For me anyway - bring on the hot and dry - with some wind around 10 to 15 would be nice - Stick a fork in it here - its done - well maybe not the double crop beans - but I dont have any out . :smileysurprised:

A goog friend and his boys fired up on some gravel yesterday - should NOT rode 2 rounds - mine is 2- 3 weeks out - anyway   lol

my documtims 576.jpg

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

I'm Rollin' on the floor reading all this stuff.
Veteran Contributor
mnvtfarm

Looks like good corn.

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Looks like the correct color of equipment as well.   :smileyvery-happy:

Veteran Contributor
mnvtfarm

+1