Advisor

Will USDA Print 90.0 million soybean acres

Well, here we are again folks. Looks like the USDA has all the power in setting the market tone for spring prices. What will the Friday Reports say? Big acres, big stocks? Smaller stocks, big acres? What say you?

Here is a preview:  USDA To Bring Market Heat Friday

Thanks,

Mike

Honored Advisor

Re: Will USDA Print 90.0 million soybean acres

Give or take 4 million acres  Smiley Happy  What happens if it`s less than 90 million?    Not that it matters, then corn will get hammered.   I`m rooting for pasture acres to go up   Smiley Happy

Advisor

I just learned that there has not been in a time in the last 10 years that the Dec. corn futures contract hasn't offered a chance to sell corn above $4.20, during the growing season. Maybe some silver lining there, huh?

Mike

Advisor

Mike,

If there is a chance every year to sell corn at 4.20, then we should all put in a sell offer at that number.  I have an offer to sell Dec corn on the board at 4.176.  I guess I'm too low.  Smiley Happy

Over the years, I've been pleasantly rewarded by having sell offers in place, especially when the marketing is volatile or I'm not able to pay close attention.

Honored Advisor

Mike that is a slight of hand ---- sort of

Doesn't that statement only beome true because there are at least 4 years of Dec corn contracts on the board at any one time?

Therefore corn can stay at $3 for three years as long as once in 4 years it has a $4.20 day

We could actually see $2 corn for the next two years and still have that be true.

It is not a statement that supports a price level every year?  Is it?

Does it say every growing season or just during the growing season while it is on the board?

Esteemed Advisor

"The USDA has all the power in setting the market tone."     

You expected this to change somehow?

Honored Advisor

roaring,

What should the report say to increase the importance of usda in the upcoming budget and farm bill negotiations?  

And what would it not want to say so it remains important to our economic strength and world leadership?

Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

sw,  I think we all know that the USDA has always been about an affordable and plentiful food supply.   I don't believe that this line of thinking will ever change.  Can they do this with a lower budget?  I'm sure they can.   Smiley Wink

Of course, they still have to provide the producers a crumb or two to keep them in business.  Can they do this with a lower budget?   I have no idea, but I doubt it.   Smiley Frustrated

Advisor

sw,

In the past 10 years, during the growing season, the Dec. corn futures has offered a chance to sell above $4.20.

Looks good right now.

Mike

Veteran Advisor

BA is waiting for the pasture numbers to go up........how about the mary jane acres in Colorado ???  maybe they will offset a few

wheat acres ????

In this wild and wacky world today....if one thought that things were fixed...try this one on for size...say we know that the usda

budget is going to be smaller....we also know we have to keep those "rednecks"  (what do they call the people from iowa ?),

happy since they voted for us.  If we just adjusted the numbers a wee bit, and make a correction later on, we could see

the market go up...the rednecks would be happy, would not need to write as strong as a farm program because incomes

have went up, therefore justify a smaller farm bill, that then meets our budget, and we have more money left to fund

other things....what happens down the road, well the budget concrete will be set, the know it all crowd will be able

to say "you had a chance to get a better price"....but you didn't take it so stop your bellyaching,

Nah....couldn't happen......sound like something that Hollywood would come up with...............

but....

who was on tv ?

who has interests in Hollywood and entertainment ?

who did, or still does, own a production company  (close advisor)