Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Veteran Contributor
WCWISC

Worse than expected......

First corn planted. 100 acres @ 137 BPA on 180 APH ground. 22% moisture. Yippeeeeee!
Senior Advisor
kraft-t

Re: Worse than expected......

137 bushels x $4.50 @ bushel is $616 per acre. Pretty darn good if you paid a $1000 or less when you bot the farm. Or if you are renting it for $500 per acre you still have $116 for crop expenses and living expenses.

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

I'm not a large producer, but I don't think $116 will pay the inputs.
Veteran Contributor
WCWISC

Veteran Contributor
WCWISC

You're in fantasy land again Kraft-t......
Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

It's pretty easy to see where the worst crops were this summer...just look at the basis maps on DTN.  Marathon County is in the center of the state, the largest county in the state, and my farm was in the far SW corner of it.  Basis there is typically very poor - usually one of the areas with the poorest basis.  This year, from there west, is some of the best basis numbers in the country.  Crops were really bad through there.  WCWISC, yours included.  Probably the worst in the nation.  My former farm in Marathon County had a farm average on beans of about 45.  This year they will do about 10.  Farmers are telling me how bad the corn silage was, and it was taking a lot of acres to fill the silos.  Not good..I know how tough it is for you dairy farmers over there, losing the hay ground and then these poor crops over there to boot.  But it could be worse - at least the corn price is reasonable.  But when you have to buy most everything to feed the herd, it's not going to be an easy year.

Jen

Senior Advisor
kraft-t

Well you need to average it with last year and then you will be all right. You didn't spend it all last year  did you?

I'm just funning you and maybe it's not funny for you. Good luck in 2014!   Don