Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Advisor
rayjenkins

Re: anyone know the.......

am I not allowed to ask??? I think the concept of peak oil was that point in time where total production of oil would decline and never be above that level is that how you view peak corn as well??
Senior Contributor
farmer46

I feel quite sure, that the debts of all operations are much higher.  Unreported debt is really the problem.  You do services or product without knowing all the debts, you can get taken down.   I did in the 80's and It cost me alot of money when things were very tight. I hope all those trusting souls, have a voice in this court case.

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Farmer46 would you ask for current financial statements before allowing 30 day billing credit to a farm account??  Would size make a difference??

I think it is a tough question but important.  In the farming world a lot of the most solid businesses are the guy who never does a financial statement until it is tax time.  And in many areas they don't intend to look successful.  And the reverse, not all that waddle like a rich duck actually are.

sw
Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

you are more than welcome to ask.............as am I more than welcome to be curious why you are inquiring.........

I will put my view up on a new thread..........

Frequent Contributor
waynr

U sayn monsanto was only creditor listed ?
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

No----there were many.  Monsanto at 3.9 million, next closest one between 5 & 700k and  only two others over 100K, and the rest were below 50K.  Not a large #,  unless what I saw was not a complete list.

sw
Senior Contributor
buckfarmer

How does someone owe Monsanto directly. Or do BTOs do business the corporate office.
Senior Contributor
gurly3801539

He had some side businesses going the way it looks. He may have been a dealer, or other dealers turned it over to Monsanto for collections.
Veteran Contributor
Doug N

If he was farming 40,000 acres he was dealing directly with Monsanto. 

Advisor
WCMO

Nobody needs to farm that much ground, it just displaces or limits alot of smaller guys that would like to farm a little more.

Without limits on crop insurance subsidies, there's no production reason for this to happen.  So it must be either financial, or ?

Noticed the bankruptcies were filed for LLC's.  Is there any personal liability or responsibility in this situation?

Whoever it was that featured his operation in an article should rethink how they identify success.  I know alot of farmers that are 1% of his size that have top-notch operations, no/little debt, nice equipment, etc.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln