Contributor
mspencerfarms

delayed planting worries???

Is anyone getting concerned about delayed corn planting yet or is it still too early to get excited.  Myself, this weather makes me nervous as we are now in our 5th consecutive wet spring here in Missouri.  We were fortunate in our area to get in 3 good planting days last wk. but just a couple of miles north of us they got more rain and very little if anything done.  The forecast for the next 2 wks. is calling for above normal precip. across the cornbelt.

Senior Contributor
k-289

Re: delayed planting worries???

Better to have the rain than the perils of a drought like Texas---Oklahoma--Kansas--N Mexico---etc.  

Senior Contributor
highyields

Yes it is time to get concerned.  We are at the 18th of April and another rain event is another 5 days, and then we are looking at the last week of april.   another rain event and we are into May.  Its time to get concerned.  

I'm in SENE and not all areas around me are as wet as we are.   We have all the springs and tiles are running, its WET here.  

You can go 20 miles NW of me and they wanted a good soaker, we didn't need a good soaker.   The last dry spring was 2004.  

Senior Contributor
teaspoon73

Not a wheel turned here in NE S.Dak. In fact its snowed 3 of the last 5 days. Roads are a big concern as major highways are even shut down. Temps in the 30's don't dry anything out either. Snow tomorrow 2 to 3 inches.

Contributor
mspencerfarms

Don't know where you're from but being thankful that I'm not in a drought still doesn't get the corn planted.  I'm not clear on what your intentions are?????  I don't like droughts anymore than excessive rain and we're not getting excessive rain but just enough to keep it too wet to plant.  Either way seed won't reproduce in the bag or if it's too dry, so explain to me the difference???

Veteran Contributor
DW11

Corn planting progress report showed 7% planted, 8% average and 16% planted at this time last year.  From the weather reports, I don't think we will make much progress in the next week or more.  In my backyard, we won't turn a wheel for ten days minimum.

Advisor
nwobcw

It's not so much the calendar date that worries me as the weather forecast.   Highs in the mid 50s won't make anything grow even if it was planted.   I fixed an electric fence wire this morning during a snow squall.  April 18th?  Plenty wet here but not saturated.....yet.   What kind of weather we get Tuesday night and Wednesday will determine if I get any April field work done.   Weeds are just now popping up.   I estimate less than 1/4 of the wheat has had 28N applied as of now.  The record high for this area was 86 in 2002.  41 is the highest I have seen today.  Average high is 59.  NWO

Senior Contributor
Mike M2692830

Winter weather advisory for our NC Iowa area tomorrow pm into Wednesday. That will pretty much end any ideas of doing any planting in April. Wet enough now where a couple of tenths of rain slows any drying for a couple of days and we have not had any of those days yet. That leaves us with a 2 week period in May to take advantage of the optimum planting window. One other poster noted that new crop prices don't seem to reflect what we know right now; it's going to be a late spring.....MikeM

Advisor
jrsiajdranch

Mike M it is gonna be interesting to see how the guys with the 36 and 48 row planters do with this really uneven planitng conditions this year.  I remember in 02 guys pulling thetongues ota the 24 row planters around here.  That could be interesting to watch.

Community Manager
John_Walter

Just posted weather story on the site from Freese-Notis, evaluating crop "progress" this year versus some previous seasons (full story, click here).  At 7% we have less than half as much corn planted as last year. However, we actually had less than that amount in the ground by April 17 in 2007, 2008, and 2009.

But, the forecast now is for a weather pattern that is "about as bad as it can get."  So, we might arrive at May 1 with less than 20 percent of the nation's corn crop planted, F-N says.

Is this not some real drama building in the markets?

John