Senior Advisor

Not sure I buy this ....

.... but would be interested in more info.

It occurs to me that the visible ground may not easily be accessible from the Canadian side due to terrain. And not accessible from the US side for a number of reasons including no border crossing.

Senior Advisor

Re: disrespectful

Is it all liberal influence or might part of it be corporate abandonment?

A similar comparison is a contract hog producer building dozens of hog buildings and then have the contractor abandon him. I wonder if your could maintain police fire streets and water if your tax base had evaported on you. Just what fantastic recommendation would you have offered to the people of detroit?

Senior Advisor

Actually the same thing happened to me. Kent state was a defining moment for me. I actually favored the silent majority. I thought I was one until they started up shooting college kids

Veteran Contributor

[ Edited ]

hardwheat:

No one thinks your a "runt" mate!

Just sayin': you think what went down under was disrepectful, you haven't seen nothing yet.

Didn't think telling an Aussie that you need a tougher skin would be hard to take?  Aussies some of the toughest out there.

You want to quit, its your decision.  You just have to get the feel of the forum.  Can't really tell veteran posters what is disrepectful on the first go around!

Cheers mate!

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Maybe you should change your name to Softwheat.
Senior Contributor

HW:
Bar room brawler when we were younger? I don't let age slow me.just takes a few more days to recover. As far as respect, there are only a few on here that I have a problem with. even if I disagree with someone I try to voice my disagreement with respect. As for the brawler thing.... Have you ever watched the movie fight club. "first rule of fight club".
Veteran Advisor

Great pic Canuck...BUT it was taken in 1996. Would it still look the same? Just wondering. I thought Alberta had responded to the higher prices with additional acres into production? just wondering.

Senior Contributor

Good question tipping.

I am sure there are lots of reasons for the dramatic difference across the border but going back a few years your subsidy programs kept production going and price down.

In Ontario it was cheaper to buy corn for pig feed than grow it for many years because of the subsidized US corn that flowed across the border.

The low Canadian $ helped keep pork production going in Canada and the cheap feed because of subsidized US corn allowed large outfits to prosper with rented barns while grow your own feed producers were forced out.

Point is that the farm programs in your country do impact production and in more than just your country.

Honored Advisor

great examples canuk

exporting and gifting cheap grain while running up federal debt. (post ww2 patern for US ----- a good idea in the early 50's as the world rebuilt)  Cheap grain policy became policy long term and was disruptive to world markets and economic development.

Canuk can a person carry the logic that far?

Senior Contributor

sw363535 wrote:

great examples canuk

exporting and gifting cheap grain while running up federal debt. (post ww2 patern for US ----- a good idea in the early 50's as the world rebuilt)  Cheap grain policy became policy long term and was disruptive to world markets and economic development.

Canuk can a person carry the logic that far?

Yes I think that follows.

There have been calls to stop giving food to areas that are having trouble feeding people.

Cash works better to buy food closer to the problem.

When food is just given to an area it further depresses the local market and so even less in produced locally.

At least that is the argument I have seen and it makes sense to me as i have seen what subsidized grain imported into an area does to local production and economic drivers.