Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

heat / corn

Is the heat reducing bushels of corn overall, or just taking the shrink we would have lost anyway much later and at greater expense to frost or propane??

sw
Veteran Advisor
c-x-1

Re: heat / corn

you'd know better than I, sw.....esp about all the costs associated with dry down.

.... but I would say yes.....kernals may have filled in better with less heat now and a later frost.

bottom line - suppose we could safely say this heat week is making matters more succinct.

c-x-1

Veteran Advisor
c-x-1

..........thinking out loud along the lines of last nights post--high stress during highest rate for grain fill, genetically speaking = smaller kernals.

Senior Contributor
buckfarmer

Will this lower the test weight also?
Advisor
425Cat

Not always
Veteran Advisor
c-x-1

[ Edited ]

from purdue.edu that ECIN posted last night:

Severe stress during dough and dent stages of grain fill often results in premature kernel black layer formation and thus decreases grain yield due to decreased kernel size and weight. Decreased kernel weight can result from severe drought and heat stress during grain fill.

.....a lot of the areas experiencing heat stress are also exp drought stress b/c of lack of needed 7-14 day precip inadequate root systems require for normal development.

we might be splittin' hairs here - the US Corn crop is getting smaller and smaller/faster this week than heretofore.

**oh yeah, and Soybeans are f$$k@d.

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

I agree with 425,  just depends on maturity and variety.  Some finish slow and some will dry fast normally.  Some will shrivel and loose bulk but not test weight so much.  Crop is probably gettin smaller but  it might be saving some late winter freeze drying harvest.

sw
Veteran Advisor
Palouser

Unless corn is vastly different than small grains I know that if kernels are filling when it is very hot the kernels will be smaller. I have never seen any different. I have seen test weight increase of stay high but the bushels were always enough less not to come close to making up the difference.

Senior Contributor
hanktbd

US corn crop average yield no doubt dropping 1 to 2 bpa each day this heat wave continues without rain. Prolly a 1 billion bushel hit to the total national yield. late corn is aborting kernals and early corn not black layered is losing kernal weight and size.

Contributor
earthendelight