Senior Contributor

its getting wet

closing in on five inches of rain in the last week....I thought I turned all the irrigators off a month or more ago.

Should help the southern MN wheat for next year, though.  Little gallows humor there.

Spoiler
Smiley Happy

The best thing to wish for now is for October Chicago board of trade prices to ignore reality, fall hard or  even stay where they are, and for a nice crop insurance check to tide us through until the good times roll again.

Senior Contributor

Re: its getting wet

Know the feeling, we are at 7.25 since Saturday PM.  Really holds the dust down though.

Advisor

Mist all day today but virtually no rain in eastern Iowa.  Tiles are not running.  Creek is very low.  We'd better get some rain or it will be a dry spring to plant into.

Honored Advisor

The last beanable day was Wednesday if you could deal with 14-15% beans.  Since then I have 4" of rain sitting in a pail.  I wanted a couple inches of rain to knock some leaves off, but it would`ve been nice to have gotten a Oct 1 frost to kick the butter beans in the butt and cure the green stems.  I always wonder this time of year that if we got one nuisance rain after another until November and then winter would set in and half a bean crop would be lost.   But it always works out, when I was a kid I remember combining beans after Thanksgiving Day dinner and thinking nothing of it, but the stakes weren`t so high back then, especially as a kid.

Senior Contributor

I have seen soybeans combined in January and even February. As a farmer, you have to learn to deal with what Mother Nature dishes out and keep going.

Senior Contributor

just poured another 2.7 inches out....up to around 8 inches in most spots now.

when things setting down or average out....it's really going to be dry to counter the last two years of moisture.

Honored Advisor

1.93" the last two and half days here in the former D3 drought area of south central Iowa. Sunny and 80° tomorrow forecasted.

The dry brown spots in my yard are shrinking but not yet gone.

Went on a parts run to Des Moines yesterday. Noticed all the unharvested corn and bean fields were 

Turning very dark to almost black. Going to turn all the combines black. Might want to invest in some dust masks at the auger/unload  Site.

Veteran Advisor

AMEN

had to go to KC this week for medical stuff.......I noted the two routes we took, a lot of corn and beans still in the field.......I would say

1/3 done at the best.  more beans than corn......and it was raining.....and it did again last night, with 1.5 to 2 inches not uncommon...

and hail, and tornado's and wind.

BUT           the saying is, the lord does not close one door, before he opens another one................

ok cheapo, how you going to spin this one ?

well, I think most of us, see, think, and understand, this crop is not going to be where the USAD or the "trade" (whoever or wherever that is

anymore).....therefore, we have a chance to position ourselves for the days to come...........I hate to say, but investing the same

money you do in putting in the crop, if you did that in the market, and could see positive trades each time, you would be doing far

better than you do now.

sorry, a bit different idea than 'VAN TRUMP" that was cited here, but then again, my market letter is slightly cheaper than what he

charges.....and oh by the way, if he's wrong, does he give you your money back ?  at least i'll admit I'm wrong, and sorry.

Honored Advisor

Just checked some river levels on the mighty Mississippi river.

9' at McGregor, forecast 12' by next Fri

5.3' at Vicksburg Mississippi, slight problem

Forecast 13'  end of next week

Load those barges, they'll float by end of the week. "Round them up, head them out"

Senior Contributor

2.44 inches for the month of Oct.  Cover crops love this weather.   Have a tile discharge starting to pee.  It dried up in June.  More rain forecast for Tuesday.  Will take a day at a time.  Variability in the yields around here still rules.  Lights on the combines will  be shinning in the weeks ahead.  Save harvest everyone.