Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

more on the Brazil potential

Brazil's Cerrados: Overview

Brazil's frontier region is booming, and the boom is destined to continue long into the future. The potential of this vast and largely untapped area--the largest virgin land mass on earth--is beyond rational speculation.Brazil's high-plains, the cerrados, cover an estimated 207 million hectares, or about one-fourth of the country. All but a small area lies south of the equator.

From a US perspective, the cerrados equal 26% of the area of the lower 48 states--more than 510 million acres--an area larger than the US east of the Mississippi River, excluding Florida. Only about 60 million ha--about one-fourth of the cerrados--is now economically used. Of that, dryland and irrigated crops cover about 25 million ha. The rest is in pasture.

EMBRAPA, Brazil's agricultural research organization, estimates that another 100+ million ha are suited for modern mechanized crop agriculture. More recently, the USDA estimated that between 145 and 170 million hectares (402 million acres) could be opened for crop production. This means that the agricultural area yet to be opened is more than 25 percent larger than the total crop acreage of the U.S.

For more information on Brazil's Cerrados, see http://www.fas.usda.gov/pecad2/highlights/2003/01/Ag

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Re: more on the Brazil potential

Thanks Hobby,

Good Reference for those days when we think we are not going to produce surplus supply again, or see low prices in grains.

Appreciate the reminder.

sw
Community Manager
marketeye

Hobbyfarmer,

Simply put, Brazil has more land that it's not using than we have that we are using. It's really mind-blowing, when you stop and think about it.

Mike

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

[ Edited ]

Going on an ag type tour to Brazil has been on the bottom of my bucket list for some time but I think I may move it up a number of notches.

Does Ag.Com have an opening for an investigative hands on "reporter"(read that as a hobbyfarmer that wants to go someplace warm next Dec to Feb time frame)  that could go there and send back picts and reports from there next winter?

Always nice to have a little financial help from Corporate.:smileywink:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Frequent Contributor
tOTALED

Fascinating I wonder when water resources might become an issue there. That's OK just clear another fenceline, drain another wetland,and wonder why it won't rain anymore. This post is not written by a crazy conservationist just a realist

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

It is my understanding that some of the older converted areas had a 20% rule and now the rule is 50% has to be "untouched".

Advisor
Red Steele

Nothing new about Brazil

The fact that Brazil has more untapped acres than the USA currently has in production is something that has been talked about for decades. I always keep that in mind when the land bubble in America gets high and you start hearing things like " well, they ain't making anymore land". It really helps to keep things in perspective, and allows one to be extemely patient.

"Peace on earth would mean the end of civilization as we know it" Joseph Heller
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Water resoursces--------------- what areas i have been looking(just satallite viewing) show a lot of surface resource and a fair amount of reservoir water currently.  I did not see much irrig. development from that. but with 80 inches of rain predictibly......................

I wonder why yields on established ground are not better than they are presently??  Not enough fertilizer production??  Just looks like underdeveloped potential---------- the more i look..

sw
Senior Reader
deerguy44

Thanks Hobby.  I went on a trip to Brasil in 1968 and ended up on a ranch in the cerrado.  I liked to never get back to civilization it is a huge area.  Land  I believe was 25 cents per acre,but it was a dictatorship then.  I did not see potential of that red soil and large termite mounds and scrub brush,  On a side note I did get to Rio eventually, but ran out of money and my parents were kind and wired enough money to get me and my friend home. WE went during summer college break.