Frequent Contributor
hwr247

not so worried about crop prices but....

i am really worried about input costs!!  also seems like a perfect storm brewing in wash with major cuts coming without regard to how it  affects ag as a whole......all over the ag news is ag is making record income!!!  they never mention we have record expenses!!!!  seems a litlle one sided....of course those facts do not fit into a 10 second sound bite 

Veteran Advisor
roarintiger1

Re: not so worried about crop prices but....

The record income thing may be a bit overstated after yesterday's market action.   

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." "Success happens when preparation meets opportunity"
Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

I just got my corn ordered, they give until October 15th to get the biggest discount, but didn't have a firm quote on the prices, only that it 'went up a little'.  Scary thing is, lots of other people are ordering, as well.

Friend
happyfarming

We haven't been able to get prices either. Same response as you up a little. My little is 2,3,4,5 $'s.... What is there "just a little"
Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

I wouldn't have bit the bullet so early, with my order, but I live not too far from where seed corn is grown, and know a few guys who work in the seed business (raisning, grading, etc, not the selling side) and they say the better numbers are likely to be scarce.  I have had heard from 3 different people, with 2 different seed companies, that at minimum 13 pivot circles of seed corn got either hail, green snap, or both from a bad summer storm not too far from Central City, Nebraska.  That is where a lot of the seed that gets sold in my area comes from.  The companies hardest hit claim that they will have a seed harvest in South America early enough to get seed shipped over here, grated, and treated.  However, since the fields haven't been planted yet, that is also an unknown.

Friend
happyfarming

I agree with you. We "normally" never buy til after harvest, but we too have basically spoken for seed. It seems to me, all of the seed companies are trying to get a handle supplies and all waiting hear other seed company pricing. I'm thinking with the downturn in markets recently a lot of them might be wishing they had got more "on the ball". Also seems like they all want to push a nee group of hybrids constantly, but we are a little more conservative and like to stick with some of the tried and true and that is getting harder to do. I like improvements in genetics but I like proof not marketing B.S. Sorry kinda got off on a tangent.