Veteran Advisor

"The next American Farm Bust is Upon Us" WSJ

[ Edited ]

This is from today's Wall Street Journal, Page 1.

I'm sorry that it's not a free read, but you can sign in for free

I find this rather ironic, after seeing on this forum, that people have a better outlook that for the last couple of years ?

www.wsj.com/articles/the-next-american-farm-bust-is-upon-us-1486572488

Veteran Advisor

Re: "The next American Farm Bust is Upon Us" WSJ

if you to to msn, you can read it there.

seems to be quite the opposite as the two reports on SF....

Honored Advisor

There`s alot there to comment on, one of the farmers in the story wondered if he quits, if he will end up as a Walmart greeter.  Well, during the "last farm crisis" of 30 some years ago, farmers could go to a factory and make $20/hr, you could subsidize your farm with wages like that. 

I think what has happened is a couple things, one being farming has become a specialized monoculture.  Many of us no longer have livestock and I know grain farmers claim to be busy every day, but that`s kind of debatable, this monoculture is working 24/7 for a few weeks at planting and harvest, to be wall to wall employed there really should be some livestock in the opperation....but we all know what happened with that.

Also, alot of us myself included got cocky, see farming isn`t a richman`s job, I think many of us have too swell of machinery...after a long day in the field you`re supposed to be dirty hot and sweaty and ready for a shower, today it`s like farmers have come out of a office building.   That`s all nice, but in a commodity production business can we afford all this fancy stuff?  Look at construction business, their excavators might have the front window knocked out and 20,000hrs on the machine, here we think we`re out of comission if the air conditioner breaks and if a tractor has 4,000hrs, we start thinking about trading.

If the good times ever come back again, maybe we should not spend and pay a few damned taxes, maybe plant a foot in the hindend of a salesman trying to peddle $300/bag seed.  Oh I know it was fun thinking we were rich Bigshots, but history shows that farming is a tough way of life and the good times of 2008-2012 were a aberration, not something that most farmers see in a lifetime. 

All that said, I think we have kind of bottomed and this year will be slightly better...maybe not good enough, but enough to thread water another year for most.

Veteran Advisor

You mean they have cabs for tractors !!!
As jeb would say "well doggies"
Next thing you know they will put them
On combines !!
No Milo or soybean dust..must be heaven
Honored Advisor

Autonomous machinery won`t need cabs, but that will be for the winners one day.

image.pnghttps://bmcontent.affino.com/AcuCustom/Sitename/DAM/103/Case_IH_Magnum_Autonomous_Concept_Tractor_in_the_field_with_.jpg

Veteran Advisor

I understand how they work in a field...but
How do you get from field to field, does it
Have a leash that you lead it around with ?
I remember my grandpa said he could almost
Hook an implement behind one of the horses
He had, and the horse could about work in
The field himself. He said it was the smartest
Horse he ever had.
Honored Advisor

Oh I reckon they have a little joystick, you stand on the drawbar and steer it like a drone.

Honored Advisor

Illiminating the ........... Man.

Advisor

Like a lot of things... When you read about it in the mainstream media, its about run its course

Esteemed Advisor

That's what your tractor looks like after driving too close to a tree line.   Smiley Wink