Frequent Visitor

Re: "The next American Farm Bust is Upon Us" WSJ

[ Edited ]

People had the same mentality about automation with not having elevator operators or switch board operators. Now both are things of the past and some how society survived. I think that eventually retired predator drones will be used in place of crop dusters. (I know a little extreme but I'm making a point, it is quite the mental picture though)

Honored Advisor

[ Edited ]

If we want to be really honest "this" isn`t the government`s fault (oh they are thrilled that there`s a bunch of knuckleheads willing to produce food below cost of production)...but the problem is farming is just too damned much fun and too many are willing to do it at a loss, just for the fun of it, some will subsidize it by taking on a off-farm job or getting their old lady a second job  Smiley Wink

Well, that is the "economics"  of it all, farm chat pages are full of young farmers and farmers that are old enough to know better asking "400 acres in the neighborhood up for rent $400/acre, should I rent it?" ...."sure go for it!!!! If it gets away you won`t have the opportunity again!!!"....There`s your sign.

I don`t know what the government can ultimately do to help a bunch of knuckleheads that won`t help themselves "Git outta my way and let me farm!!" besides there`s the cheap food thingee.

Farming will have to get so bad for those that don`t have a "gimmick" that they won`t want anything to do with it. And farming will have to get so big that the ante to get in the game so high that farmers with more money than brains still won`t have enough money to enter the game.  Then when a handful of families control it, the supply can be managed for profit.  Until then it`s feast or famine, when the feast does come, you`d better put some grub in your pockets.

Honored Advisor

Movers and Shuckers halting operations

Virgil Shipley/News Farming equipment is lined up in front of Movers and Shuckers’ Fredericktown headquarters ahead of a liquidation sale later this month. A company employee confirmed the business was closing but no date has been released.

FREDERICKTOWN — Movers and Shuckers, a farming company that burst on the scene in 2012, is closing its doors and selling equipment.

The company has scheduled a “liquidation sale” of recent-model farm equipment for 9:30 a.m. Feb. 24.

An employee who answered the phone at the business confirmed that employees have been told the business will close, but haven’t been given a date other than the auction date.

The employee also confirmed the entire operation was closing, not just the farming activities. The company has done some other work, including some excavation and foundation removal work for the Owl Creek Trail project in Fredericktown last summer

Honored Advisor

[ Edited ]

Nox your probably right that 2 million formers is too high.  But don't criticize a writer who has the guts to write about the things the local farmers will not speak of......  I grow sick of farmers who deny the death of rural communities and blame their own children for leaving.

Where does the writer get the 2 million number.............?        USDA

So its gotta be right we all set back and defend the virtues of our pals at usda.  We believe their numbers, why shouldn't those in the press?

And what is wrong with pointing out the obvious  over and over and over and over.............. We don't seem to be able to read...

The most foolish statement of all is ......."Experience is the best teacher"........... People make the same mistakes over and over............ Like the current mantra of "Trump has no support"...

Please don't attack someone who actually left the cubicle to try to see a real picture in rural america.  Even though the writing skills of the press have diminished, I like to see someone actually attempt to report real events instead of the wall to wall opinions from the sources for folks who can't read and need exxplainning  to.  What are our SF press and other responsible press supposed to do with their time........... Tell us how great we are for being farmers, while we watch the house of cards come down around us.

Guys like those on this sale are our pioneers...... out there trying to figure out what is going to work in the new world of techincal greedy small margin, high risk farming.  Hell we all know that if you got a roll of money you can survive longer if you burry it in a can in the yard and don't declare............exercise proper tax management.

That is not leadership by the experienced.  No young farmer will learn how to live in farming listening to that.  Lets try explaining how we determine which risks are the ones to take, instead of condemning those who take them and fail....   How worthless is it to have lived a life and never tried anything new... still driving the old 4020 and getting our jollies from the bankruptcy notices.