Advisor
hardnox604008

sure glad

we don't have to worry about food vs. fuel on account of the accelerated yield trend from the genetic revolution.

"People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. Intellectual myopia, often called stupidity, is no doubt a reason."

J.K. Galbraith
Senior Contributor
Farmerjoe79

Re: sure glad

There will be enough for food and fuel you will just have to pay a little more.
Advisor
hardnox604008

that sounds suspiciously like the original expert opinion to which I referred.

"People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. Intellectual myopia, often called stupidity, is no doubt a reason."

J.K. Galbraith
Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

[ Edited ]

thats funny...........Mrs. Bobblehead thinks our kids are too obese and has adjusted the school food program accordingly...........every month there is a report on the news about obesity in this country and what those evils are, including HFCS......heck heart disease is a huge killer, maybe number 1 still, RED MEAT anyone..........heck even a TV anchor lady in WI got hate mail about it, and it made national news............NY has banned the sale of soda in containers larger than 16 oz or whatever it is............and the list goes on and on...........

so actually we should raise the blend to E20 so the country slims down..................right.................????????

o.........and as sad as it is........and it is really sad.........people went hungry when corn was $1.50 and we had muti-billion bushel surpluses............so what gives............does it have to be free............????????even then it doesnt make it to where its needed because of government rein............

heres a better idea...........you could probably support 1 family from a poor nation on 1 acre of your land, probably less but we will keep it easy math............are you willing to sacrafice all your land for the betterment of someone in need...........and don't worry, you can keep an acre for your family...........and dont worry there is a neat word for it too, so you can feel special...........its called redistribution..........

everyone has the answers and wants to help while holding hands............AFTER THEY ARE TAKEN CARE OF.............but when the shat hits the fan, all of sudden.............SILENCE............

Frequent Contributor
ND Farmer 1

MT. you really hit the nail on the head with that comment. 

Senior Contributor
GoredHusker

It won't be food vs. fuel very long.  This year, those who irrigated with natural gas by far irrigated the cheapest.  In fact, it cost roughly a third to irrigate with natty gas as it did diesel.  Those who didn't make the conversions last year are doing so this year.  Sometimes, we just have to give up on the gov't and do things ourselves.  Right now, there's quite a lobby going on to get the local coop to put in a natty gas fueling station.  Other than the purchase of the compressor, there really isn't much additional cost considering the most of the local town is heated with natty gas.  GM, Chrysler, and Ford all either have or will soon to have pickups that run on natural gas.  The compressor is expensive and many are willing to donate their patronage just for the purchase of the compressor.

If I were a young mechanically inclined person searching for a niche job, I'd look into getting into the conversions of gasoline vehicles to natural gas.  This is the future, and this will be the industry to help the U.S. claw out of the hole we currently find ourselves. 

The only problem I have with the ethanol sector is the mandates.  Ethanol is cheaper than gas, so won't price dictate what people use?  It's like food.  For most consumers, they could look at two steaks at a supermarket.  One might come from Brazil and one from the U.S.  Whichever one is the cheapest will more than likely get bought.  I would assume ethanol blended gas would be the same.  If the ethanol blend is cheaper, the consumer is going to buy it.  Why the need for mandates?  There's just too many Chinese knockoff products distributed throughout the country for me not to believe American consumers wouldn't buy cheaper ethanol blended fuel. 

Senior Contributor
jec22

Gored,  I have one question.  How can ethanol blend compete on even ground when they blend the crap gas with ethanol to make E10, E15, etc? 

So. IA
Senior Contributor
farmer46

MT, I just read that story,( The Little Red Hen) to my granddaughter.  She is 4.

Senior Contributor
jec22

MIzz, about the NY soda 16oz. ban.  I always wondered about that law.  I mean, is soda the only drink with calories?  Beer never gets touched.  Common sense has left the building.  Oh, I know, we are protecting the kids. 

So. IA
Advisor
hardnox604008

Other than venting all your cultural hostilities, you didn't really address the question.

What about all that "expert testimony" about an ever increasing yield trend, genetic revolution etc?

After all, you're the "peak corn" guy.

J.K. Galbraith