Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger
Accepted Solution

time to start....

calibrating yourself and paying attention to the trend.............

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/multi_season/13_seasonal_outlooks/color/churchill....

these maps do not look pretty for the majority of the growing season..........short on water and long on temps is not good.........

again, start watching and tracking these things............by mid to late March we will have an idea of what the front half of the growing season will be like..........by June we will know what the back half could hold........

this summer will be driven by TIMELY RAIN.........mark that down.............which probably means crazy volitility..........

so the real question becomes looking at those maps...........do you plant March 10th or May 28th...........

Senior Contributor
Wrestler

Re: time to start....

Spoiler

Which maps are you referring to?? A link would be nice. I agree, feast or famine in 2013. I like to bet on the American Farmer.

Senior Contributor
425Cat

Never plant in March unless you live in Texas

Advisor
c-x-1

[ Edited ]

.........we could plant now.....had a few mid to upper 70's high temps, some subsoil mosture starting down about 3-4 feet........

where do i get those seeds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!             any left??

MT - on maps looks like only NE 1/3 of belt will have any top moisture to work with--------the rest - zero sub, almost zero top. Hmmmmmmmm.

Senior Contributor
farmerguy89

I'm going to start planting the second half of April, only because the ground is not warm enough until then, in my world of Ontario.

Fields are at field capacity for water, and by those maps, we should have more heat (which seems to be our trend for the last while anyways). O and equal chances of moisture deficit, surplus, etc.

Looks like a good start for me anyways; hopefully the more sandier loams dont dry out.

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Still too early to trade drought in my opinion, but if someone wants to step up and play the drought card I have some corn & beans I'd sell you for half the difference between todays price and CX1' s price preciction.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Advisor
c-x-1

Hobby, is that around $8.50 if i'm doing math correctly---------you should be able to sell some to Cargil w/in 6-7 weeks right about there in the cash.

Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

Heat....think heat.....2004 and 2009....no heat.....heat is bad.....high temps cook things.....corn can't breath in high temps.....you guys need to brush up.....heat is killer.....pile on a dry profile.....
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

My soil profile is not dry in Iowa