Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

well, i thought it was cold out........

[ Edited ]

till I found this..........check out number 2............WOW..........

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/eco-tourism/stories/the-coldest-places-on-earth

I think I will zip it now.........

I have seen -28.........oddly enough it wasnt that many years ago..........nor was it that far north.........its erie how quiet things are when its that cold.........the ole pickup didnt like being started either, made some funny noises........and strangely enough, there was zero wind that morning, it was so still out..........

I hear stories about -30 and -40 and -50 being a pretty common occurance in the 50's 60's and 70's up in the far reaches of MN and ND.........they say -40 is a whole nother beast.........and -50 is when metal starts acting funny..........no thanks, and I like the cold........

weather has always fansicated me.........and I have always wondered why farmers dont make it a core pillar of study..........I mean it is the number one variable.........hands down..........and while we cant control it..........certainly trying to understand it is important.........

probably as much or more so than marketing..........

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Re: well, i thought it was cold out........

I saw freshly planted corn and corn in the prosess of neig harvested today.

Going to look for a blanket tonight ...65ish for a low
60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Senior Contributor
Bugeye

How do you undo kudos?
Advisor
c-x-1

MT, Hobby,.. it's funny when i 1st came around these parts Hobby asked me where (what country) i was from - i guess i'd made a goofy post or some such thing. I gave you, Hobby that smart-arse remark "where'd you think i was from, Antarctica?"

I don't believe i can even fathom -127...wouldn't your skeleton freeze solid in about 60 sec. so if someone tapped you, you'd just shatter like that ice/metal character dude from the 2nd "Terminator" movie"

I love weather extremes, as well. Iv'e skied in wind chilled -45 before (could only take 1 run before thawing in warm hut) for 30 min.

Remember Dec '82 anyone?? Brrrrrr

...and i've jogged 6 miles - 8 min/ mile pace in 108 degrees back in early Sep 2000 - Houston.

MT - These last 2 years i've learned to make weather (Drought Monitor) a more integral part of my trading decisions, for sure. Just learned last yr about tenacity of corns tap root....and only reason 2012 crop was above 100bpa was subsoil...now its GONE in 2/3rds of belt...so 2013 crop is gonna be one wild card alright.

Frequent Contributor
Threadkiller

44 below is the coldest i've ever experienced.....but it's the 25 ish below temps. with a 10mph wind like we're having tonight in the north dakota tundra that are more unbearable.   on a night like tonight it's hard to believe how much i complained this past summer about how hot it was!      

Contributor
Vailcat

Sunday here in ND is as bad as it gets. Temp was only -10 but wind was steady 30. I was out working all day and the warmest the windchill got was -36 but it was -40 or colder most of day. It was sooooo flipping cold. I have some cloth rubber coated gloves I use when actually buying oil. I keep them in a heater until right when I use them. On Sunday they would go from +90 degrees all the way to frozen stuff by time I walked up tank battery. They had been the perfect glove until I realized they didn't handle -40 too well!!
I've been in -45 for actual temp but it was still out which it often is when t gets that cold. If you want to experience what it's like beig in that cold of weather just wait for a really cold day and find a windchill conversion chart, take off in your truck down the road and bare one arm then stick it out the window. It's fun and a good man sport to see who is toughest. When you hit -40+ I can promise you those arms come back in under 10 seconds. It's unreal how quick and bad that hurts.
Frequent Contributor
DKIL

Where you at hobby?

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

KAUAI, Hawaii

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Senior Contributor
rswfarms

Hobbyfarmer- how come you didn't take me? It is -9 below in the Twin Cities right now, very, very, cold.

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Because I did not want 4 pages of clutter on this site of you asking about selling enough corn to go along.

BTW my summer Cool off trip already has the one couple go along slot filled. There was/is a waiting list.