About the Author
  • Brenda Frketich is a third generation farmer from St. Paul, Oregon. She has been farming full time since 2006 and currently manages her family's 1000 acre farm. They raise grass seed, hazelnuts, crimson clover, wheat, vegetable seeds and peas. She grew up on the farm but never thought that farming was what would be her future. She left her small town to Los Angeles to get a degree in Business. But after years of city living she realized farming was in her blood. Brenda is very involved in many parts of her industry and community. She is a volunteer Firefighter and EMT in her small town. She is involved in Farm Bureau, is a Clover Commissioner, and always tries to find new ways to bridge the gap between her urban neighbors and her rural life of farming. One of the ways she does this is through this blog, and also her personal blog, www.Nuttygrass.com Brenda is married to Matt Frketich who has also recently started farming with her. They also have a son, Hoot, and old hunting dog, Diesel and farm dog Yukon.
Announcements
Please read the forum guidelines. Please post, reply, read, and view our tutorials to learn all about our new forums and features.
Blogroll

Border Spraying

by Brenda_Frketich on ‎04-08-2015 10:19 AM

Border spraying is a job on the farm that is a little bit like cleaning the toilet at home.  You know it has to be done, and yet it always falls to the end of the list of things to do.  The main reason is that it is tedious and takes a long time to get done.  But it's also like cleaning when I say that once it's over and you have clean field borders, it makes you feel so much better.

FullSizeRender(1).jpg

Border between a spring wheat field and crimson clover field.

Since I don't have as many days on the farm now without our little Hoot following close in tow, I decided that I would do the border spraying this year.  It would give me a chance to really take a look at each field that we have and at the same time get something done.  So I took off yesterday and got a few tanks sprayed out, before I broke the thing that is.  (I truly can't be trusted to not break anything most days!)

FullSizeRender(4).jpg

We have control of each nozzle on the boom so we can be very accurate with where our spray goes.

You may wonder why we spray in between the fields, might seem like a waste since it isn't crop ground.  But when you look at where most of your weed pressure comes from, most of the time it is from the borders of fields.  Sometimes it's because you cleaned a harvester off between fields and some seeds from another crop were dropped in between fields.  Or maybe it's because you drive on headlands (in between fields) and there are weed seeds on your tires.  Either way it's where most of our weeds are, and when growing seed crops, keeping your fields clean is very important.

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

Always nice to be out in the fields on a beautiful day!

I have a few more days of spraying ahead of me, we have to travel to our other farms down the road, but I got the homeplace done yesterday with some good old fashioned farmer ingenuity (aka I used duct tape and zip ties to finish the job!).