About the Author
  • Brenda Frketich is a third generation farmer from St. Paul, Oregon. She has been farming full time since 2006 and currently manages her family's 1000 acre farm. They raise grass seed, hazelnuts, clover, wheat and peas. She grew up on the farm but never thought that farming was what would be her future. She left her small town to Los Angeles to get a degree in Business. But after years of city living she realized farming was in her blood. Brenda is very involved in many parts of her industry and community. She is a volunteer Firefighter and EMT in her small town. She is involved in Farm Bureau, is a Clover Commissioner, and always tries to find new ways to bridge the gap between her urban neighbors and her rural life of farming. One of the ways she does this is through this blog, and also her personal blog, www.Nuttygrass.com Brenda is married to Matt Frketich who has also recently started to work with her on the farm. They have two dogs and are expecting their first baby in May 2014!
Announcements
Please read the forum guidelines. Please post, reply, read, and view our tutorials to learn all about our new forums and features.
Blogroll

Happy Earth Day #FarmVoices

by Brenda_Frketich ‎04-22-2014 09:45 AM - edited ‎04-22-2014 10:15 AM

While reading another blog from a good friend of mine, Rural Route 2, I saw this video put together from FarmOn.  It is awesome and sums up so much of what being a farmer really means.  So here is my #FarmVoice photo although not from today it sums up a good chunk of our harvest time come July.  And it also speaks volumes about how much I love farming, love my life, and most importantly my husband and my dog!

482561_669300233109282_415678571_n.jpg

"What is a farmer?  Someone who cultivates land or raises animals.  Webster makes it sound so simple.  But trying to define us in seven words will barely make a ripple.  Some may call it a noble profession, but here's the true confession.  We are more than a job, we are families living to farm."

I encourage you to check out the video and submit your own #FarmVoices photo or video to their cause.  Because what they say is true, we need to tell our story and share what we are doing out on our farms.  This passion that we have as farmers, it goes beyond just how to cultivate our soil or tend to our crops.  It shapes how we raise our kids, treat our neighbors, and truly care for the land.  So happy Earth Day to you all!!