About the Author
  • Brenda Frketich is a third generation farmer from St. Paul, Oregon. She has been farming full time since 2006 and currently manages her family's 1000 acre farm. They raise grass seed, hazelnuts, crimson clover, wheat, vegetable seeds and peas. She grew up on the farm but never thought that farming was what would be her future. She left her small town to Los Angeles to get a degree in Business. But after years of city living she realized farming was in her blood. Brenda is very involved in many parts of her industry and community. She is a volunteer Firefighter and EMT in her small town. She is involved in Farm Bureau, is a Clover Commissioner, and always tries to find new ways to bridge the gap between her urban neighbors and her rural life of farming. One of the ways she does this is through this blog, and also her personal blog, www.Nuttygrass.com Brenda is married to Matt Frketich who has also recently started farming with her. They also have a son, Hoot, and old hunting dog, Diesel and farm dog Yukon.
Announcements
Please read the forum guidelines. Please post, reply, read, and view our tutorials to learn all about our new forums and features.
Blogroll

Happy New Year...Wait, it's already the 22nd?!

by Brenda_Frketich on ‎01-22-2015 11:00 PM

I have had this whole blog post in my head for the New Year.  It has been rolling around and being edited for...what I thought was a few days.  Until all the sudden I realized it's not just the middle of January, it's basically the end already.  The New year, is about 21 days past new news.  Which I suppose just goes to show how busy us farmers are, even when there's nothing to harvest.  Even when the sun isn't always shining.  The life of farming does not let us get lazy, not even close.

Since my life is so focused around the seasons that sound more like planting, meetings, fertilizing, and harvest instead of the traditional fall, winter, spring and summer; it always feels a bit strange to start the new year, in sort of the middle of our crop year.  For me, fall or planting season always gives me that new feeling.  The start of something new and exciting.  Planting seeds in the ground after careful preparation of the soil, knowing that everything you do for the next 10 months will either make or break your crop for the year is always an exciting time.  It's the start to the new year on the farm.

013.JPG

A newly planted perennial ryegrass seed field.  We plant with a charcoal band over the furrow.

Next is always followed by meeting season, a time when learning about new crops, new tools in the toolbox for taking care of your crops, and just getting together with others in your industry always takes up a lot of time.  Fertilizing and spraying come next, spring can come earlier here than in other growing regions.  We never quite have the deep freezing weather that hits other regions, so that spring growing time can come as early as February in some years.  It's a great time of year, when everything starts to really shoot out of the ground reaching for the warm sun that has been clouded over most of the winter.  And then finally you gear up for the busy time of harvest.  The start of 14 hours days, and seven day weeks of hard work and putting your nose to the grindstone to get the crop in the barn.  And then you sit back, take a deep breath, just as the cool fall air beings to change.  And you realize that once again the new year, new crop year, has started and it's time to sow once again.

So you can see that time can fly right by me for this New Year timing.  But either way I hope that everyone continues to enjoy this 2015!  I think it's going to be a great one...at least so far so good from this farmer here in Oregon!