About the Author
  • Brenda Frketich is a third generation farmer from St. Paul, Oregon. She has been farming full time since 2006 and currently manages her family's 1000 acre farm. They raise grass seed, hazelnuts, crimson clover, wheat, vegetable seeds and peas. She grew up on the farm but never thought that farming was what would be her future. She left her small town to Los Angeles to get a degree in Business. But after years of city living she realized farming was in her blood. Brenda is very involved in many parts of her industry and community. She is a volunteer Firefighter and EMT in her small town. She is involved in Farm Bureau, is a Clover Commissioner, and always tries to find new ways to bridge the gap between her urban neighbors and her rural life of farming. One of the ways she does this is through this blog, and also her personal blog, www.Nuttygrass.com Brenda is married to Matt Frketich who has also recently started farming with her. They also have a son, Hoot, and old hunting dog, Diesel and farm dog Yukon.
Announcements
Please read the forum guidelines. Please post, reply, read, and view our tutorials to learn all about our new forums and features.
Blogroll

I am Oregon Agriculture

by Brenda_Frketich ‎03-11-2015 10:09 AM - edited ‎03-11-2015 10:11 AM

The Oregon Agribusiness Council has continually been looking for ways to bridge the urban and rural gap here in Oregon.  While our borders are close in proximity, our understanding of what the other is doing is a never ending job for us farmers.  They have a few projects, including "Adopt a Farmer" and roadside signs that tell drivers by what is growing in all the fields around them.

download.jpg

One of their newest projects is called, "I am Oregon Agriculture".  The campaign aims to not only show that Oregon is made up of over 98% family farmers, but also show the vast number of food, fiber and fuel that we grow in this great state.

I have linked to a few of the commercials that you Oregonians may be seeing on KATU in the next few weeks.

The Agribusiness Council continues to impress me as a farmer.  It is easy to be frustrated with our close neighbors, so I applaud them for acting on the vision that we all need to share this state and all the great things that it offers.  I too believe that we can all be better neighbors, there is always something to learn about the other side of the urban and rural gap.  Their motto says it all about what they are looking to get across, "Oregon Agriculture. Rooted. Green. Vital."

11034241_10152624614221146_3882433099726975358_n.jpg

You should check out their website, www.oregonfresh.net. It has great information about farmers, all the programs they are working on, blogs, recipes, and events. Overall I think that programs and websites like this are helping in our struggle to help Oregon continue to be a wonderful place to live, but also a wonderful place to farm.