About the Author
  • Brenda Frketich is a third generation farmer from St. Paul, Oregon. She has been farming full time since 2006 and currently manages her family's 1000 acre farm. They raise grass seed, hazelnuts, crimson clover, wheat, vegetable seeds and peas. She grew up on the farm but never thought that farming was what would be her future. She left her small town to Los Angeles to get a degree in Business. But after years of city living she realized farming was in her blood. Brenda is very involved in many parts of her industry and community. She is a volunteer Firefighter and EMT in her small town. She is involved in Farm Bureau, is a Clover Commissioner, and always tries to find new ways to bridge the gap between her urban neighbors and her rural life of farming. One of the ways she does this is through this blog, and also her personal blog, www.Nuttygrass.com Brenda is married to Matt Frketich who has also recently started farming with her. They also have a son, Hoot, and old hunting dog, Diesel and farm dog Yukon.
Announcements
Please read the forum guidelines. Please post, reply, read, and view our tutorials to learn all about our new forums and features.
Blogroll

"I Grow Oregon Hazelnuts"

by Brenda_Frketich on ‎01-16-2015 10:44 AM

Now whether you grow Oregon hazelnuts or have lived your whole life thinking of them as filberts, there is a lot of pride around what we grow in our orchards here in the Willamette Valley.  While the hazelnut doesn't have the is more the up and coming nut when compared to the almond or pastachio, we are working as an industry to make it more known and more common place.

This video was released just a few days ago by the Oregon Hazelnut Marketing Board and features just a few of our growers here in Oregon.  It was done so well and really captures not just the beauty of our area here, but also the pride that is taken with each orchard that is planted, each tree that is pruned and taken care of from generation to generation.

Hazelnuts or filberts, whichever you prefer, are a generational crop.  When we planted our newest orchards thoughts of how my son will be the one to care for them, my grandkids will be able to climb those trees, were all running through my head. It's a cool thing to think about when tradition and love for the land already run so deep in my life.

Comments
by janisyager
on ‎01-23-2015 09:27 PM

Great video Brenda! We visit family in Dallas, OR often and have driven through those hazelnut orchards....even stopped to talk with some families on their farms. We are almond growers, so we love to see that product advertisement in all its forms. Videos like yours are what introduce the public to where and how the food gets to them and the heart that it takes to keep doing this labor of love year after year and generation after generation.  Thanks!