About the Author
  • I am an online content editor for Successful Farming/Agriculture.com and Living the Country Life, but my full-time job is raising three boys on a small farm in south-central Iowa.
Announcements
Please read the forum guidelines. Please post, reply, read, and view our tutorials to learn all about our new forums and features.

It's Not Easy Being Green

by Heather_Barnes ‎10-03-2014 02:12 PM - edited ‎10-03-2014 02:12 PM

comparison.jpg

"It's not easy being green."

That quote is attributed to Kermit the Frog, but the same can be said for sweet potatoes.  It's not easy being a green sweet potato.

Take a look at the picture above. Can you tell which sweet potato is green and which has been cured?

Let me give you some hints.  A green sweet potato is one that has been dug and harvested within the last few days.  It has thin, delicate skin which is easily damaged.  It has a shorter shelf life and is not as sweet as a cured sweet potato.  A small percentage of all sweet potatoes dug each year are sold "green".

Most sweet potatoes are cured.  Curing helps "set" the skin so it is tighter and heal cuts.  Sweet potatoes continue to convert starch to sugar after harvest so a cured sweet potato will be sweeter.  It will also have lower starch content.  Shelf life is increased.  I'll talk more about how sweet potatoes are cured in a future post.

Have you figured out which sweet potato is green and which is cured?  Leave your thoughts in the comments section below. 

Comments
by
on ‎10-03-2014 02:59 PM

i bought a few last week that looked awfully green to me, Heather.  They looked just like the one on the left...tasted better than I expected, though! 

by Heather_Barnes
on ‎10-06-2014 08:37 PM

Kay, the sweet potato on the left is "green" and the ones you bought probably were too.  I've seen a lot of green sweet potatoes in grocery stores.