About the Author
  • I am an online content editor for Successful Farming/Agriculture.com and Living the Country Life, but my full-time job is raising three boys on a small farm in south-central Iowa.
Announcements
Please read the forum guidelines. Please post, reply, read, and view our tutorials to learn all about our new forums and features.

Shark Tank the FFA Way

by Heather_Barnes on ‎03-06-2015 06:49 AM

ffa shark tank.png

Have you seen Shark Tank? No, not the shark exhibit at your closest aquarium but the television show.

I’ve only seen bits and pieces of the show. If you aren’t familiar with it, the idea is that people go before The Sharks - a group of “self-made, multi-millionaire and billionaire tycoons”, according to the show’s website. These people pitch their business and products and offer The Sharks a chance to invest in their company.

This week I had the chance to feel like one of The Sharks - without the millions and billions of dollars in the bank.

I had the privilege of judging the North Carolina FFA Agricultural Sales contest. Teams compete a written test, a practicum and end with one member giving a sales presentation.

For the sales presentation, students chose an agricultural product that represented one of the following categories:

1. Agriculture Mechanics
2. Agriculture Production
3. Agricultural Products and Processing
4. Agricultural Supplies and Services
5. Forestry
6. Natural Resources and Rural Recreation
7. Ornamentals

They prepare a sales pitch for their chosen product, including business cards, brochures and flyers. As a judge, I was the customer these students were trying to sell their chosen product to.

The junior contestants, freshman and sophomores, had five minutes (the senior contestants had seven minutes) to assess our needs as the customer and demonstrate how their product could meet those needs. Some of the items I had the chance to “purchase” included:

- Udderly Supportive - Udder support for dairy cows
- Racoon traps
- “Gator Bars” - fruit bars
- Chicken electrolytes
- Safety Goggles
- Shares in a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) from a local farm
- Produce Boxes

I have to admit when I was a high school freshman or sophomore I don’t think I would have been able to walk into a room with complete strangers and make a sales pitch. Actually, I don’t know if I could do that now.

One thing I did notice is that some students understood that selling is about interacting with the customer, assessing their needs and selling how their product meets those needs. Other students treated the selling process more like a speech, where they came in and talked for 5 minutes without ever really involving the customer. Regardless of how they handled the pitch, just the fact they were willing and able to come into a room and make that presentation says a lot about the benefits of being in FFA.

I was never in FFA. Even if you aren’t familiar with the organization, you’ve probably seen the blue corduroy jacket that members wear. Many people think FFA is only for kids interested in agriculture. I have to disagree.

Students competing in the Ag Sales event needed to research their chosen product, put together a sales pitch, design marketing materials and be prepared to answer questions about their product. These are all skills anyone could use in any number of careers - in agriculture and in other fields.

If you were a member of FFA, what skills did you learn that you still use today?

Comments
by evelynmtz821
on ‎03-25-2015 10:58 PM

I was in FFA and I learned oh SO MUCH (I could go on forever)! I never miss an opportunity to talk about how incredible this organization is. I learned a lot, but I enjoy sharing the story of how I found my voice the most! When I was a freshman in high school not a single word would come out of my mouth for the entire school day (not exaggerating). When I joined FFA my agricultural advisor, a superb man, kinda forced me to do the Creed Speaking competition, where I had to recite the 5 paragraphed, FFA Creed in front of a crowd of members and judges! I got to tell you my coach, an ex-Toastmaster, wasn't easy on me! For once someone did not feel pity for the shy freshman I once was. So yes I did that, didn't win, but realized public speaking wasn't so scary after all. Sophomore year I was the head of an agricultural issues team (won district) and volunteered to be the Reporter, a leadership position. The chapter members were so enthusiastic about my development that I won the office by a land slide! Later I began to represent my chapter not only at my school, but in my city as well! It was great to see people learn about FFA and I loved teaching them about it! Today, I'm in college as a freshman with a full ride scholarship. Although the shyness hasn't quite left it's incredible how much I grew. No longer am I afraid of speaking or being outgoing, I honestly love it. Thanks to FFA I became a leader with a voice! The reason I like to share my experience is so that people can realize how big of an impact extracurricular programs can have on someone's life! If it wasn't for FFA I know I wouldn't be where I am today.