About the Author
  • I am an online content editor for Successful Farming/Agriculture.com and Living the Country Life, but my full-time job is raising three boys on a small farm in south-central Iowa.
Announcements
Please read the forum guidelines. Please post, reply, read, and view our tutorials to learn all about our new forums and features.

Snow can't stop the Seeds

by Heather_Barnes on ‎02-28-2015 06:07 AM

Seed header.jpg

We have had a lot of snow here in North Carolina over the last two weeks.  Okay, if you live anywhere but the south, what we call "a lot" wouldn't even cause you to pull out a pair of boots but here we close school at the mention of snow and buy up all the milk and bread in the land.

The farm doesn't care what the weather is....there are still things that need to be done at certain times.  One of those is seeding our greenhouses.  We typically seed around Valentine's Day, so the plants have time to grow in the greenhouse before being transplanted to the field.  

The first greenhouse was seeded on February 9.  We've had ice and snow off and on for the last two weeks so I hadn't been by the greenhouse to see if the seeds had started coming up.  When I first walked in I saw this:

Seed view.jpg

At first glance, I didn't see any sign of new life.  At second glance, I still didn't see anything.  So I looked closer.

seed far away.jpg

Still didn't see anything.  I thought the cold weather may have slowed down the seeds, which wouldn't be good news for us.  I took one more look, this time actaully squating down beside the trays.

seed close up.jpg

They are tiny, but we have plants!