Frequent Visitor

Need Advice From Experienced Farmers

I'm 21 years old from upstate New York. I've never worked or lived on a farm. When I was younger I did a lot of work with my grandfather who has a corn field and grows some of his own produce and I've also worked with some poultry and livestock. So my experience is limited but I do know very basic stuff. I'm pursuing a degree in farm management and I plan on moving to the southeast, most likely the GA, NC, TN area. I'm currently in the military and won't be starting school until the end of 2017 due to that. I plan on doing internships during the summer between school years when I get to that point. I was wondering if there's any advice anyone can give me to get to the point where I'd be able to actually start farming on my own. I understand I'm going to have to have a decent amount of money saved up first and obviously I'll need land. I'm hoping to start off with 20-30 acres with at least half of it good farm land. I plan on mostly growing crops. I want animals too, but mostly smaller ones like goats, poultry, rabbits. Any advice would be appreciated.