cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
verbatime
Senior Contributor

Re: 0bama`s gun push lowers his approval

Well he didn't fool my sons they knew their taxes would go up and they did.

verbatime
Senior Contributor

Top psychiatrist: Meds behind school massacres

Society conducting 'vast social experiment' without knowing its  end

Published: 11 hours ago

NEW YORK – If lawmakers and authorities are truly concerned about stopping  gun violence in schools, they need to take a close look at the prescription of  psychotropic drugs for children and young people, says a leading  psychiatrist.

In an exclusive in-person interview in New York City with WND, London-based  Dr. David Healy criticized pharmaceutical companies that have made billions of  dollars marketing Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors, known as SSRIs.

Psychotropic drugs “prescribed for school children cause violent behavior,” Healy stated.

The drugs are widely used in the U.S. as antidepressants by doctors working  in the mental health field and increasingly by primary care doctors, he  noted.

Healey insisted the problem today is that doctors working with schools to  control the behavior of children are inclined to prescribe SSRI drugs without  serious consideration of adverse consequences.

“The pharmaceutical companies made these drugs with the idea of making  money,” he said. “There’s a wide range of problems when it comes to looking at  these drugs for children. Very few children have serious problems that warrant  treatment with pills that have the risks SSRI drugs have.”

The drugs can make children “aggressive and hostile,” he noted.

“Children taking SSRI drugs are more likely to harm or to injure other  children at school,” said Healy. “The child may be made suicidal.

“We are giving drugs to children who are passing through critical development  stages, and as a society we are really conducting a vast experiment and no one  really knows what the outcome of that will be.”

Healey cautioned that there is a very high correlation between mass shootings  and use of the drugs.

“When roughly nine out of every 10 cases in these school shootings and mass  shootings involve these drugs being prescribed, then at least a significant  proportion of these cases were either caused by the drugs or the drugs made a  significant contribution to the problem,” he said.

President Obama, in a series of 23 presidential memoranda and proclamations  signed last week, called for the Centers for Disease control to undertake  research to examine gun violence and to explore medical means to control the  problem.

WND contended that putting more mental illness screening into schools would  actually increase the incidence of school shootings, not reduce the  violence.

“You can draw a line between the number of child psychiatrists in the United  States and the number of school shootings, and you will find that both have gone  up in the same direction at the same time,” he said.

He sees a “propaganda campaign” being conducted in the U.S. in the wake of  the Aurora, Colo., cinema shooting and the Newtown, Conn., school shooting  asserting gun violence is being caused by mental illness and could be stopped by  additional school programs that screen for it.

“If school children are screened for mental illness problems, this presumably  will lead more medical doctors to put more students on more pills,” he said. “I  would predict then the outcome of more school screenings for mental illness will  be more mass killings, even if the guns are taken away and the mass killings are  not done with guns.”

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/top-psychiatrist-meds-behind-school-massacres/#1aWVQsLi00M8CJAo.99

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Re: Interesting 2nd Amendment proposal

Nothing unique about it.  Community service in exchange for gun ownership.  As the article says, Isreal and Switzerland do it and every male (everyone in Isreal) must join the militia. Good way to get some good out of everyone.

Samnospam
Advisor

How about community service in exchange for free speech?
man of steel
Senior Contributor

Samnospam
Advisor

Lol, in the recommended links for your easy button to was one I'd like to use here on occasion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWjIZLO-PwE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Brilliant.  At least something is genetic.

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

You have free speech and no one is about to take that away either.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Re: How soon

@Nebrfarmr wrote:

My theory has no bearing on who is in office, or what party they belong to.

I think we will only have a 'permanent' recovery, when the debt/deficts are addressed.   Now, I don't think they have go fall to zero, but the levels we are running at, are unsustainable, and I can't see how it can be healthy, long-term.

Until that happens, I think all we will have will be temporary upticks, and spurts of growth (like when the stimulus/QE money hit) and perhaps bubbles in certain sectors, as those with money to invest seek out various investments, but I cannot see our long-term fiscal health returning, until the country stops bleeding money so fast.

If we keep spending so much more than we get in, we get more debt, and possibly another credit downgrade.

If we raise taxes too much, we stifle the economy.

If we simply print money, we will get inflation, quite possibly wild inflation.

What we need is a balanced approach, to do some real work towards deficit cutting.

I think you view IS directly related to who is in office.  How can you deny that.  Whilst the Debt is huge and the reasons for it have been deliberately forgotten for politics sake, they are not too overwhelming.  You have to remember how the US got to where you are and that involves forgetting who is in control after the event.  I hesitantly remind you it was the Bush era which set the train in motion both on the GFC front and both the wars.  Whilst I expect Obama to take every step necessary to pay that money, I don't think it will ALL be paid. Furthermore, if any one in the US is waiting for divine intervention to help,  rock on comrade.  It will be the taxes which will eventually pay for the most part of it.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: How soon

You need to read a few of my posts in the archives about the debt and spending.

I have over and over again said that Bush spent our tax money, like a drunken sailor on payday.  
However, if you take all 8 of Bush's deficits, Obama's smallest, is still bigger than all but Bush's biggest.  That is a simple matter of facts.  Obama promised to 'cut the deficit in half' by the end of his first term, and it hasn't happened.

I keep hearing over, and over, and over again, how 'the wars' are the cause of the deficit.   I don't know the exact cost of the wars, but I have heard 2-3 billion a week thrown around.   Well 2 billion a week, is still only 10% of the deficit.   Why hasn't anything been done, about the other 90%????

If it is 3 billion a week, that still leaves about 85% of the deficit to other causes.  Why isn't anything being done about the other 85%?  

As far as the debt, it probably is managable yet, at this moment.   However, it is going downhill, and going downhill fast to a point where it soon WILL become unmanagable.   Like a car speeding to a cliff, I would like the driver to steer the car away from the cliff as soon as he sees it coming, not trying to see how close he can come to the edge before stopping.

PS (for an athiest, you sure like to bring up God and 'divine intervention' a lot.)