cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: 0bama signs `Monsanto Protection Act`.

I have never dealt much with grain farming so educate me. Monsanto is the BAD GUY? None of you guys plant anything but the 50 year old genetics? The fields I sometimes drive by with the 15-20 signs along the edge with different names of varieties of whatever is in the field are NOT new genetics and crosses of new genetics? Because Monsanto is the only seed company that puts out genetically altered seed they catch all the h3ll? Is this what it is all about? I really think that everything grown these days is genetically altered either by man or naturally and always has been. I also know for a fact that Dems don't have a lock on loony tune people--the others-repubs, liberterians, tea partiers, etc all have their share.
Samnospam
Advisor

after the shine wore off BHO, at first of course Bruce was completely infatuated, his line was "he wants to do x but is not able to",  after a while it slid to "well if mcCain had been elected he would have done the same",  then it was "at least he is not a mormon", "he is a snazzy dresser", and "my aunt said he is a great guy",  all of these interspersed with liberal amounts of  "its all the republicans fault" and "look its Bachman and Palin kissing".    The surest sign of Obama's lame duck status is Bruce's acceptance that Obama sucks.

🙂 🙂 🙂

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Well, Monsanto started out good but somehow lost their way, they have been acting like monopolistic thugs as of late.  They have this ridiculous "patented seed" where a farmer can`t save his own seed...okay I understand they developed it and don`t want their scientific reseach to be public domain and all that research dollars lost in a year or 2 and we growers sign on the dotted line that we`re okay with that.  My problem is they own Dekalb and Channel and others, they buy small seed companies ...they want it all.  I know you`ll say "Well that`s what you Righties want!"   No it ain`t, we don`t want that at all not with seed or fertilizer where only 2 companies mine potash or Cargill being the only grain buyer or 0bamacare having a monopoly on heathcare.

But let`s look at Roundup technology, we pay a "tech fee" for that seed whether we spray Glyphosate or not, I know guys that bought RR seed and didn`t spray an oz of Glyphosate and still had to pay the tech fee.  Roundup technology is old science, weeds are getting immune, corn bore is getting immune, root worm is getting immune.  It lasted 15 yrs now it`s run it`s course.  Companies should have concentrated on raising better yields instead of this GMO crap, leave the pest killing to the chemists.  Monsanto has rested on their lead too long, farmers and consumers are stuck with the tab.  Now we`re behind the 8-ball on catching up on controlling these super frankenpests.  So yeah Monsanto is a "bad guy" in my book.

johnaa
Advisor

snip-Genetic engineering does not normally include traditional animal and plant breeding, in vitro fertilisation, induction of polyploidy, mutagenesis and cell fusion techniques that do not use recombinant nucleic acids or a genetically modified organism in the process.[1] However the European Commission has also defined genetic engineering broadly as including selective breeding and other means of artificial selection.[2] Cloning and stem cell research, although not considered genetic engineering,[3] are closely related and genetic engineering can be used within them.[4] Synthetic biology is an emerging discipline that takes genetic engineering a step further by introducing artificially synthesized genetic material from raw materials into an organism.[5]

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Faust, I have to give Farm Bureau credit they got rid of that damned farm electrical inspections that that goll damned Culver saddled us will, and that damned DOT cracking down on farmers.  And us property owners can thank Farm Bureau and the 1980`s Terry Branstad for keeping a lid on farm property tax, with the way land prices went up they`d really be screwing us with land taxes.  But yeah on big hog setups dumping raw manure in the Racoon River and NAFTA and GAT, the Farm Bureau has drank too much sheep dip and are off the ranch Smiley Happy

With Cargill, the outfit out of Blue Earth Mn tried to get a little piss ant like my business, they`d sell cheap...er fertilizer and build bins if I signed some contracts and stuff to sell my grain to them.  Well, you can`t blame them for tryingSmiley Happy  but if a oufit goes looking for my business they are really scraping bottom, I supose that still have some sort of program.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Nah! he never was that good, but he wasn't as bad as you guys made him out to be. He has been a caver a capitulator trying to win the love and approval of the republican right. He has doomed himself to failure because he has yeilded too much to the repubs.

I never voted for him twice but I will vote for Hillary in 2016 if I am still around. 

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Ba, I remember you guys all saying that no one should be bailed out. If they can't make it, they should gout of business and let someone take over. That sounds a lot like someone could possibly gain control of an industry and you guys were all for that!! I noticed that you never commented on the natural genetic engineering that goes on all the time. I guess that's ok. And what about the crossing of fruit trees with splicing. That is genetic engineering also