cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

$1.3 billion for 55 miles of border wall, say what!!

Someone please help me understand this.  $1.3 billion for 55 miles figures out to be $23.6 million per mile or $4,476 per foot.  I think we have been led to believe this wall was affordable, but this is ridiculous!  Was this project put up for bid as I can’t help but think there is a thousand contractors in the USA that would be willing to do it for less than that that.  

I think we hear billions thrown around so loosely anymore that we forget how much that really is. 1.3 billion is 1,000,000 dollars 1,300 times over

3 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: $1.3 billion for 55 miles of border wall, say what!!

Amen
Veteran Advisor

Sounds pretty high.  Still, I would imagine that includes a minimum height, along with going into the ground enough to discourage tunneling.  Plus, some ground acquisition, road building on one or both sides of the fencing, etc.  Also read that the funding is for 55 miles of NEW fencing, but that they were also replacing and/or improving some existing fencing, improving some border crossings, etc.

IMO, the "negotiators" have squandered another opportunity to do more to resolve illegal immigration issues, DACA, etc.  Just another band-aid and kicking the can down the road, again.

There was I think a Gallup Poll that showed an estimate of 5 million people who intended to attempt to immigrate (legally and/or illegally) to the US during the next 12 months.  Will link if can find that story --

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/chairman/246563/million-border.aspx

"A full 5 million who are planning to move in the next 12 months say they are moving to the U.S."

Veteran Advisor

The  appropriations  from  last  waLL  deal  hasn't  all  been  used  -  and  tariffs  raising  construction  material  costs ,  is  this  being an  inside - out , or  what  -CONservative  normal , economic,   nonsense  rewind  - ?   

Who  will  check  on  status  of  employees  -  as  we  MIGHT  being  paying  IMMIGRANTS  FROM  MEXICO  to  build  the waLL  -  SO  who's  paying whom  for  what - ? 

SO,  a  win ,  win  for   whom,  as  the  USA  taxpayer  fleeced  again   -  Maybe  - ?