cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: $1 Trillion tax increase

Why not push them ito it?

If they wanted to accopmlish something, but the opposition 'threatened' to fillibuster, but actually never did, why back down? 

Is someone reading pages out of a dictionary, so frightening, that they couldn't bear the thought of it?

Its not like Congress was accomplishing anything else, so why not make them follow through?  I thought Republicans were a bunch of spineless wimps, but yet an empty threat that (they hadn't followed through on), caused the Dems to back down?

Personally, I think in a way, they were happy with the gridlock, so as they could blame the opposition, for not having to actually have to be on record voting for this or that, and going back to their home districts, saying they would have solved all the world's problems, if not for the dirty old GOP.
On the other sied, the Republicans got to brag, that they played 'chicken' with the majority party, and came out on top.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I would have but the approval rating of the entire congress is so low, having a filabuster would sink the ship.  I don't understand it at all but from what I read, there was something about threatening to have one caused the bill to not get a vote or something.  It is all a bunch of horse hockey anyway.  Only the Haves have a say in the way this country is run and the repubs tend to always look out for them against the rest of us.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I would agree, the haves seem to run this country, and they do tend to lean GOP, but don't be fooled into thinking that there are not plenty of liberal Democrat 'haves', as well, some of whom get preferential treatment, as well.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

you make the demmies sound like a bunch of pussies.

"Mommy...Mommy...those awful Republicans are threatening to filibuster...we can't even vote!"

Good Lord, your guys need to grow a pair.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Biden has had over 30 years of senatorial perks and salaries and still has a house mortgage. This guy is not exactly a financial genius.

Letting Biden try to function in a leadership role is like letting Charlie Manson be in charge of school playgrounds. Except Biden would be able to do much more harm as his actions affect millions.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

The filibuster is a powerful parliamentary device in the United States Senate, which in recent years has meant that most major legislation (apart from budgets and confirmations) requires a 60% majority to head off a filibuster. In recent years the majority has preferred to avoid filibusters by moving to other business when a filibuster is threatened and attempts to achieve cloture have failed.[41] Defenders call the filibuster "The Soul of the Senate."[42]

Senate rules permit a senator, or a series of senators, to speak for as long as they wish and on any topic they choose, unless "three-fifths of the Senators duly chosen and sworn"[43] (usually 60 out of 100 senators) brings debate to a close by invoking cloture under Senate Rule XXII. According to the Supreme Court ruling in United States v. Ballin (1892), changes to Senate rules could be achieved by a simple majority, but only on the 1st day of the session in January or March. Nevertheless, under current Senate rules, a rule change itself could be filibustered, with two-thirds of those senators present and voting (as opposed to the normal three-fifths of those sworn) needing to vote to break the filibuster.[43] Despite this written requirement, the possibility exists that the filibuster could be changed by majority vote, but only on the 1st day of the session in January or March, using the so-called nuclear option, also sometimes called the constitutional option by proponents. Even if a filibuster attempt is unsuccessful, the process takes floor time.[44]

The breakdown of the last 3 congresses is as follows---110th, 49D-49R-2I,  111th, 57D-41R-2I, 112th-51D-47R-2I.

Since it takes 60 votes to bust a filabuster, the minority party usually moves on to something else rather than waste time.  Both parties do that.  Nothing **bleep** about it.

Highlighted
Advisor

It really doesn't speak well of a person to say crap like that when it's ovious that you are intelligent enough to understand the required majority and cloture rules. 

You insult everybody who reads what you say with that sort fo disingenious statement, pretending that there would be anybody with an interest in the matter who didn't know how it works.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I understand what you are saying, but I can't understand, why they would rather do nothing, on what they consider to be an important issue, just because someone 'threatens' to read pages out of the dictionary, or whatever.  Why not bring it up, let them filibuster, and then let the whole world see, that Senators Dewey and Cheatum from Howe county, are the ones holding up the bill that would feed the starving children, or whatever?  I thought the Repubs were a spineless sissies, so what makes anyone think that they'd have the nerve to be in the spotlight, blathering against popular legislation?

At the very least, call their bluff, make them put their cards out on the table.  If I were playing cards, and had 4 aces, I wouldn't fold, just because some other guy on the table, said he had a Royal Flush, without making him show his cards.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I guess you would have to ask your congressman or someone else but I think the reason given is OK by me.  Move to something else and maybe try the other one later.  Maybe will have the votes needed then.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Or maybe I am right in my premise and the congressman did not want to get voted out in droves like they did in 2010 after passing "obamacare" in spite of the Republicans. No compromise, not a single Republican vote, scores of demmies out on the street.

Ya think???