cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: 10,000 year record

Yes WCMO the melting has been going on slowly for many years.

The difference now is how fast it is happening and warming quicker all the time.

As CO2 increases in the atmosphere warming increases and as warming increases, especially in the Arctic, more ground and water is bared to absorb more heat from the sun and more land thaws which releases more methane which also increases temperature rise.

Yes you can just move 200 hundred people but how would you like it if you and your family and neighbours were forced to move to a strange place? Forced because of things that were happening because of others not you.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I understand the scientific discussion on how CO2 creates the "greenhouse effect", learned it in 8th grade science.  There's also one or two gases that affect this more with smaller quantities than CO2.  All I'm saying is that the discussion needs to recognize other factors, which includes the effects on everyone, not just the ones most directly affected, as well as recognize the environmental, biological, financial and economic impacts, etc.  We might not be able to reduce the speed at which warming occurs, we might not be able to reverse it.  Either way, it might be at great cost.  Just like it has been sometimes more feasible to relocate people (and entire towns) in flooded areas to higher ground -- as opposed to the investment needed to pay/protect those original people and towns from repeated flooding.  In addition, there is still much not known or not discussed, and it might be an Earth cycle that reverses itself.  Who knows, we might get hit in a few years by a so-far unidentified giant asteroid that destroys all life on Earth.  Do you live every day like you die tomorrow, or do you live every day like you will be alive tomorrow?

And, if me and 200 of my closest neighbors were notified, with a high degree of certainty, that our entire neighborhood would be uninhabitable within a few years, I'd bet most of us would likely stay until the end was near, then nearly all would move to wherever we could live more safely, whether paid to move or not.  I say "most" and "nearly all" because there's always some who would likely "go down with the ship" -- just like whatever percentage that intentionally try to ride out the floods or hurricanes, then either die or need to be rescued.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Three million years ago CO2 levels were higher than they are now. Yet there were no people or internal combustion engines.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Hey 29.95, do you figure there were tons of man made garbage floating in the ocean absorbing the sun’s warmth billions of years ago?? I hope you are right but I know you aren’t.
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

2 degrees celsius higher in the next 10,000 years as well?  Hardly enough to thaw out Ted Williams.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Yes there are always a number of factors to consider.

It is finding the correct balance that is hard but trying to ignore the changes is not an answer.

How do we reduce the impact but still maintain the benefits?

Some change is needed, doing things the same old way is not a solution.

Some of course just want to believe there is no problem so then they do not need to consider what might be a solution but reality says there is a changing environment and the changes are happening very quickly compared to how natural changes usually occur. It is the rapid changes that are the problem as much as anything because nature and man does not have time to make gradual changes to off set the weather changes.

The earth does go through cycles brought on by the proximity of our orbit to the sun and the activity of the sun but at present the sun is in a quieter cycle as noted by the few sunspots that have been seen in recent years and sunspot cycle and yet global temperatures are still rising.

I do think there will be more renewable energy sources used in the future and any economy that does not move in that direction and tries to rely on the old carbon based sources will eventually be left behind.

As is always the case you can not stand still or the rest of the crowd will leave you behind.

So those who say no warming or there is nothing we can do are really setting up to be a failed society.

For our children's sake we have to move forward not park in the past.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Maybe the high levels millions of years ago is why there were no people.

In the past life forms killed themselves off by producing oxygen and 'dumping' it in the atmosphere until the level of oxygen became so high they could not survive and new life forms evolved that breathed oxygen.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Will it take 10,000 years for the global temperature to rise 2 degrees?

It has risen over 1C in the few 100 years since the industrial revolution.

Another 2 would melt more ice quicker = higher sea levels but it would also change climate in areas that produce food now. Some of those areas would then be unable to produce like they do now because of lack of rainfall and increased drying form higher temps.

How many people living in equator areas will need to move to cooler areas with another 2 degrees?

Already heat waves in those areas kill people every year with temps into the 40ies, add 2 or more degrees to those heat waves and some areas may become uninhabitable out doors some days because of heat as if they are not that way already in heat waves.

Change is happening what do we do about it?

Move people or change our ways so the change does not happen as quickly or as much?

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

3 million years ago there was an abundance of life on Earth.  FACT

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

How much have sea levels risen in the past 10,000 years?